11 | smoother than silk

Start from the beginning

"You told me your new man don't make you nut, that's a damn shame. You come here I'll knock yo pussy out the damn frame."

I squeeze my knees together, turning my head back towards the passenger window just before we lock eyes. "You did kinda shift my perspective though. Maybe I will show a lil more love from now on."

Once the car comes to a smooth halt right outside of the suburban brick home, June rubs the hair on his chin, leaning back in his seat and offering me an intense stare. Unlike I am, he is shameless about it how long his eyes linger.

I can see my parents' silhouettes through the lit windows and mentally roll my eyes, my mood already going down. Knowing them, they're only up to see me walk through the door to fuss.

Man, I gotta get out of this house.

"You should. Never know what it could mean to somebody." I do my best to mask my annoyance and unbuckle my seatbelt. "Well, goodni — "

A firm hand grips my jaw, gently rotating my head so that we are eye to eye and I stop breathing entirely as June's darkened eyes study my mouth. He pulls me closer in a swift motion, pressing his full lips onto mine so delicately that if it weren't for my increased heart rate, I'd think that he didn't kiss me at all.

Smoother than silk, his lips feel better on my face than they did on the back of my hand and its easy for me to get lost in his touch.

I'm left almost whimpering for more when he briefly pulls away to study my face. When my eye encourage him to continue, June plants another one on me, this one a little more firm than the first but it still isn't enough.

"Good night, Giselle."

I need something to satisfy my other heartbeat.

**********

Sunday, October 23 | 12: 36 a.m.
Toasted Buns - restaurant

-

"Say it! Say 'hey, ladies.'" I bounce Jamari in my arms and he lays his head down on my shoulder, hiding his smile. "He actin' shy right now y'all."

"Done got brand new on us, ain't it? I just seen you, man." Cree chuckles, playfully pulling at his sweatshirt.

"Exactly, don't be like that." Nadi holds her hands out to him but he doesn't budge, giggling into the crook of my neck. I pry him off me eventually, placing him in the booster seat next to my chair and handing him the few crayons that the restaurant offers.

Drinks have arrived in our absence, an Arnold Palmer for me and fruit punch for Jamari, and our entrée orders have already been placed. We spend the majority of brunch just catching up about various topics, including my ever growing side hustle.

"Damn, girl thirteen customers and counting? I'm so happy for you." Nadi praises, tapping her feet excitedly. "Just so you know, I was your first follower on your business account."

"You said you wanted to make some shit shake before your 25th, look like you on the way." Cree extends her hand and I dap her up, chuckling at their enthusiasm. "That's what I'm tammat."

The waiter returns with our entrées and Jamari claps his hands when a small portion of chicken tenders and fries is set in front of him, dropping his crayons immediately.