Flashback - A Grudge's Origin

Start from the beginning

"It's Dabi, sweetheart. Be a dear and scream my name while you burn, will you?"

He wasn't making a move yet even with the promise of your death having freshly come out his mouth. He was toying with you. As insulting as that was, it was enough for some of your fear to be replaced with genuine spunk.

"Fuck off, dude. Do you get off on starting wildfires?", you scoffed. The man grew amused at your quick recovery. You were right, he was only having fun with you. You were probably good as dead as soon as he decided you were annoying so to insult him was a death wish. 

But you couldn't help it. The chilling feeling of all the dead plants still coursed through you; it was like the feeling of unexpectedly coming across a violent video online, except a lot more personal.

"Not usually. Why?Does it bother you, doll-face?", he shrugged with an arrogant voice. You furrowed your brows. The villain acted too chummy with you, probably assuming you wouldn't do anything about it because you likely couldn't, but if you were going to die, at least you'd do it with dignity.

"Don't call me doll-face, you nutsack looking shit. You think my costume makes me a bad example of a hero? You can't talk when you're barely holding yourself together. Did mommy help you with those staples? Is that how you got them so straight? I can't imagine you could see the ones under your eyes. Oh- actually, I lied, some of them are off", you sarcastically grimaced as if scared of having hurt his feelings,"But don't worry, they're fine!!You still look semi-ugly, so, good for you", you held two thumbs up.

Dabi's expression slowly contorted from its glint of pleasure and light murderousness to a dark hatred that was directed towards you with such bloodthirstiness you knew you were done for. You tried not to lose your courage as you watched him raise his arm and start growing a blue flame at his palm. It scared you that you could feel its blistering heat from so far away.

"....So fucking cocky", you heard him growl lowly under his breath.

The flame in his palm grew tenfold and you barely registered him facing it your way before unleashing it in an explosion. If your brain had been half a second slower, there wouldn't have been even bones left of you.

Your vines had shot up from the floor as soon as you saw his attack directed at you and wrapped around his wrist, forcing the attack downwards instead of your direction and you took the moment in which he was stunned to close the distance. The heat was unbearable but his surprise at your quirk was a one-time thing; you wouldn't get another chance.

You landed a well-placed kick square at his throat in an attempt to force the breath out of him, urging your vines to pull him forward at the same time to maximize the effect and took advantage of the slight knockback it forced on him to pivot around his neck; now you were behind him, away from the aim of his hands, and vines starting to surround both of you. 

Your plan had been to restrain him as much as possible so that his aim could only be ranged towards useless directions but it was impossible without getting the vines near him first. If in the one second this was all happening, he was quick enough to figure out your quirk and your intended use with it, it was over.

And it was over. Dabi caught on immediately and two surges of blue flames ran on either side of you directly onto your vines. None of the flames were on you but being right between the two bursts knocked you off your feet instantly, a scream of pure pain leaving your throat as you flew backwards. You didn't know whether it was the intensity of his defense that made that happen or your body's unconsious reaction to the sudden ache.

You wanted so badly to get up but your lungs burnt at any attempt to breathe. Your eyes were also shut as hard as they possibly could be. The pain receivers of you brain were having more control over your body than you did. It wouldn't change even as you heard Dabi's footsteps get closer to your laying form. You were right back to the position you'd started in, except there wasn't any hope for you now.