Before she could continue, a sparkle of light appeared next to them, like someone had opened a golden curtain in the air.

"You have nothing to apologize for, my dear" Standing on the hill was a tall woman in a white dress, her dark hair braided over her shoulder.

"Lady Hera" Cassandra said politely, bowing her head.

The goddess smiled. "You found the answers, as I knew you would. Your quest was a success."

"A success?" Annabeth said. "Luke is gone. Daedalus is dead. Pan is dead. How is that—"

"Our family is safe" Hera insisted. "Those others are better gone, my dear. I am proud of you."

Cassandra squeezed her eyes closed for a moment. She couldn't let her temper get the best of her. Hera wasn't some minor goddess. She was the queen of the gods.

Percy clenched his fists. "You're the one who paid Geryon to let us through the ranch, weren't you?"

Hera shrugged, her dress shimmering in rainbow colors. "I wanted to speed you on your way."

"But you didn't care about Cassie, or Nico" Percy said. "You were happy to see them turned over to the Titans."

"Oh, please" Hera waved her hand dismissively. "I tried to pay for Cassandra. Unfortunately, the Titans have some sort of bounty on her head. And the son of Hades said it himself. No one wants him around. He does not belong."

"But Nico should belong" Cassandra argued. "It shouldn't matter who your parent is. He's an innocent kid, who deserves to have friends and a family who cares about him, and will accept him for who he is."

"Unlike you" She added. "Who doesn't accept anyone unless they fit your version of perfect."

"Hephaestus and Cassie are right" Percy growled. "You only care about your perfect family, not real people."

Hera's eyes turned dangerously bright. "Watch yourselves. I guided you more than you know in the maze. I was at your side when you faced Geryon. I let your arrow fly straight. I sent you to Calypso's island. I opened the way to the Titan's mountain. Annabeth, my dear, surely you see how I've helped. I would welcome a sacrifice for my efforts."

Annabeth stood still as a statue. She could have said "thank you." She could've promised to throw some food in the fire for Hera and forget the whole thing. But she clenched her jaw stubbornly. She looked just the way she had when she'd faced the Sphinx—like she wasn't going to accept an easy answer, even if it got her in serious trouble. It was something Cassandra admired about the girl.

"Percy is right" She turned her back on the goddess. "You're the one who doesn't belong, Queen Hera. So next time, thanks... but no thanks."

Hera's sneer was fearsome. Her form began to glow. "You will regret this insult, Annabeth. You will regret this very much."

Cassandra turned away as the goddess turned into her true divine form and disappeared in a blaze of light.

The hilltop was peaceful once more. Over at the pine tree, Peleus the dragon dozed under the Golden Fleece as if nothing had happened.

"I'm sorry" Annabeth told them. "I—I should get back. I'll keep in touch."

"Listen, Annabeth—" Percy started.

He was cut off by Argus honking the horn down at the road.

"You'd better get going" Annabeth said. "Take care, Seaweed Brain."

She jogged down the hill, without looking back.

Cassandra crossed her arms. "Try to stay out of trouble. The last thing we need is the child of the prophecy dying."