Chapter 29 - Don't Run

Start from the beginning

When the last call was announced, the club's patrons began filtering out. Then the music died down, and the remainder of lingerers were ushered from the building by Eaden's bouncers. They'd given him one look, and steered clear, leaving him to the shadows where he waited while Eleanor did her closing duties and side work.

When she emerged from behind the bar, untying her apron and hanging it up, he crept out. She stood speaking to one of the other servers. Both their eyes fell on him and her co-worker's widened. She elbowed Eleanor.

"All done, Sugar?" he said at the same time she whirled to face him, then relaxed.

"Oh. Bastian, this is Kaylee. Kaylee, Bastian. Kaylee is one of my best friends," she added, by way of explanation.

"Nice to meet you, Kaylee." He held out a hand, which he didn't usually do around skittish females. Kaylee eyed it for several moments, swallowed, then tentatively reached forward. If she were any kind of competition, he'd have squeezed the shit out of it. Instead, he gave her a gentle shake then turned back to Eleanor.

"Ready?"

"Right. Yes. See you around Kay?"

"You'll be here tomorrow?"

"Yup."

Kaylee nodded, then reached forward and pulled Eleanor into an embrace. "Take care of yourself, then. I'll see you tomorrow." She threw a glare at Bastian as she said this, as if he were some sort of liability to Eleanor.

He snorted then started walking away. Eleanor caught up a moment later. He nodded at several lingering bouncers who waited around to walk the employees to their cars. Awareness crawled over his skin, and he glanced over his shoulder. He caught sight of Eaden in the shadows near the back hallway, arms crossed. Eaden watched him, then nodded. He gave one in return, then placed a protective hand at Eleanor's back and ushered her from the building.

"No Luke, I take it?" she asked, once they were out of hearing distance. The street was silent. His bike appeared and he pulled a bit of magic to summon her helmet and then his. She fitted it onto her head. She always looked so damn sexy in that thing. He pulled his jacket next, even though there was no danger of crashing. She'd been worried about it the first night. What he hadn't told her was that his magic was capable of protecting her if anything were to happen. So, technically, she didn't need the extra gear. The helmet was great simply for the com system. But the jacket? He just liked seeing her wear his shit. He made a point of helping her into it, knowing she could damn well put it on herself. It smelled like him, and the idea of her wrapped in his sent triggered something primal in his brain.

She huffed but didn't complain. After spending an entire evening watching her, he wanted to put his hands all over her—could hardly wait to get her home.

"All set?" he asked, his words strained. She nodded.

They sped through the city. He took the curves gently, even with her arms wrapped around him, he didn't want to make her uncomfortable. Every shift of her thighs against him, every time she tightened her arms, or rubbed her palms up and down his abdomen, he practically growled, tempted to pull over and rut her on the fucking side of the road.

When her hand sank down and palmed him over his jeans, she discovered the truth. He was hard as fucking iron, and it was entirely her doing. "If you're trying to tease me on purpose," he bit out, "it's working. Obviously."

Her gentle giggle set his hairs on end. He revved the bike and accelerated. She squealed. A grin spread across his face.

They entered Kentwood and soon he was pulling up the tree lined drive, then into the driveway and into the garage. He hit the button to close the door behind them.