Chapter 28 - The Mayor

Start from the beginning

Yes. That was it.

Except...he wasn't chasing me. I frowned, listening for the barest hint of a sound. As the minutes ticked by, there was only silence. My heart dropped towards my stomach. Had I imagined it? That expression? His desire?

Had he changed his mind?

I caught my lip between my teeth, chewing nervously at the skin. Maybe it was better this way? Maybe we both needed time to think about this? Yes, that was it. Nodding to myself, I strode across the room and closed myself in the bathroom.

***

I emerged, clean and showered, dressed in high-waisted yoga pants and a T-shirt that I knotted at my belly button. A sliver of tummy near my navel peeped out. There was activity in the kitchen, so I went there. Bastian was pouring himself coffee in a travel mug, capping it off. He was dressed in his usual, dark jeans and a black T-shirt that was tight enough to show every line of his muscular frame. He must have had a hundred of them; I didn't mind.

He turned. His eyes landed on me, sweeping me over from head to toe. His pupils dilated, hand tightening around his cup. He hesitated, then his throat bobbed. "Gotta head into work, Sugar. Need you to stay here and stay put. Don't leave the house."

"Oh." My lips pressed into a tight line.

"There's coffee, and plenty else in the pantry. Toast, oatmeal, or whatever you feel like eat—"

"Is it Luke?" I asked. "Did something happen?"

His body tensed. A dark expression crossed over his features at the mention of Luke. "Not quite sure," he bit out. "But I'll know soon enough. I gotta go."

Suddenly, my ribs felt too tight for my body, too tight to breathe. "Right. Okay."

His brows drew together. He strode over and wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me close. My breath hitched. "We're not done, Sugar. Not even a little bit. This morning? It isn't over." Then he kissed me, his mouth hot, coffee flavored. I groaned, going limp in his arms, relaxing into him. His tongue caressed mine, the kiss of metal sending sparks straight to the back of my throat.

I was instantly wet.

He pulled away slightly, pressed his forehead to mine, then inhaled. "Fuck," he breathed. "I'll never get tired of that scent on you."

I exhaled.

He gave me a chaste kiss on the lips, and repeated, "Stay here. I mean it."

I nodded, gazing after him as he retreated to the garage. His truck revved, followed by the rumble of the garage door, opening then closing, then silence. I took a deep, settling breath, then another.

Coffee.

I went to the coffee maker only to find all the things I used sitting out and waiting for me, including an extra-large mug, like he'd known I'd need a bigger pick-me-up this morning, of all mornings.

A small smile crept to my lips. I loved his thoughtfulness. It caught me off guard at the smallest moments.

I prepared everything then went to sit at the breakfast bar, staring at the kitchen, listening to the silence press in around me. I wasn't used to this— having this much time on my hands. I worked into the early hours of the morning, then slept the rest of it away. My afternoons were filled with either martial arts, the occasional drop-in dance class at the studio, or chores. If I got time in the early evening, I devoured books on my e-Reader. And then it was back to work to do everything over again.

Here in Bastian's house, I felt almost...lost.

His downstairs gym was great, but it wasn't the same as attending classes downtown. Perhaps I could do a little dancing downstairs too, work on my flexibility. But it still wasn't the same as dropping in on a class.