That Which Lingers

Both Megumi, Nobara and Mai were left amazed by the actions of Rath. The alien hero had managed to turn the tides in the midst of his battle with Todo.

Unfortunately for them, from the moment Rath took the battle to the skies and proceeded to the uncompleted wooden building,They could only remain standing in the hallway.

And as a result,they would have to wait for any of the two combatants to come back and not only announce the conclusion of their battle, but also it's victor. A position none of them were all too pleased to find themselves in. But none was more frustrated with this predicament than Mai.

"How long have they been up there?" Asked Mai with annoyance.

"Up to five minutes. And considering the circumstances in which they got there, it's safe to assume that their fight has reached it's conclusion." Answered Megumi calmly as he looked away from the two girls with a neutral expression on his face.

"You're probably right." Said Mai with a sigh as she crossed her arms.

"Now I'm just wondering why Todo isn't back yet. Granted, Tennyson was a lot stronger than I expected, but to think that he would give Todo this much trouble before he'd beat him." Pondered Mai in a self reflective manner. However, due to being closer to her, this immediately piqued Nobara's curiosity.

"What makes you think Tennyson lost?" Asked Nobara with a raised eyebrow as she looked at Mai.

"Please, you can't honestly believe that he stood an actual chance against Todo?" Asked Mai in a rhetorical manner that was laced with a condescending tone. One which was not lost on Nobara.

"Sounds to me like you're the delusional one. Because from what Fushiguro and I saw, Todo was getting his ass kicked." Taunted Nobara, causing a tick mark to form on Mai's forehead.

"My,a rather bold claim on your part. I guess anything would suffice to draw attention away from the fact that you're actually pretty shallow, both on the surface and underneath." Taunted Mai in an attempt to assert dominance over the growing tension.

"On the contrary, the only shallow one here is you." Countered Nobara, causing Mai to raise an eyebrow with curiosity.

"At first,I thought that you and Maki were pretty similar. But now I realize that you couldn't be further apart." Said Nobara as she looked back at Mai.

"I can tell just from standing here that you've got open pores. Not sleeping well enough?" Nobara had now fully turned to face Mai with her hands on her waist.

"From your superficial beauty, and your hollow taunts, It's safe to say that Maki is a hundred times better." Mai would grit her teeth in frustration over Nobara's insults.

"I'll teach you..." Began Mai as she reached to her waist with her left hand.

"How to speak to others." Mai had drawn a revolver and pointed it straight at Nobara with her left hand, causing the latter's eyes to widen in shock.

"What are you..." Began an alarmed Megumi as he turned to face the two of them. He deliberately cut himself off however,as a familiar bo-staff would gently shift the revolver back.

The three teens would then look to their right to see Maki holding her bo-staff with her right hand, and standing next to the wall with a stern look on her face.

"What were you planning to do to our errand runner,Mai?" Asked Maki before lowering her bo-staff hand to her side.

"Zenin Senpai!/Maki-san!." Said Megumi and Nobara in surprise.

"Oh,my. You're such a loser,I didn't even notice you,Maki." Taunted Mai as she held up the revolver close to her face.

"We're both equally losers,you know. All you can do is imbue objects with cursed energy, and you've got shit for cursed techniques." Countered Maki.