Background & Prologue

3rd Person POV

Mountain Glenn was the Kingdom of Vale's first serious attempt at expansion. The kingdom developed an elaborate underground metro system that allowed the settlers to commute to and from the main kingdom and the new territory, thus bypassing the danger of the Grimm, while also setting up an aggressive perimeter defense that worked for a short period of time, keeping the thousands of the city's residents safe in their new home.

However, Mountain Glenn did not possess the natural barriers Vale did, and as such Grimm attacks began to increase every day until inevitably they overwhelmed the city's defenses. In a last-ditch effort to stave off destruction, the citizens of Mountain Glenn took refuge in the tunnels they had initially cleared for their subways, converting them into an underground settlement and cutting themselves off from the surface entirely.

In one of these tunnels, there was a fallout style vault called Vault 180. It was built as an experiment by a small company located in Atlas called the Vault-Tec Corporation. Several of the citizens of Mountain Glenn along with their family were granted immediate refuge inside the vault. However, without the inhabitants' knowledge, Vault-Tec tricked them into Cryogen Pods, with the plan of cryogenically freezing the new Vault dwellers until Mountain Glenn was either finished or much safer to evacuate. Until such a time came, the vault was to remain sealed shut.

Unfortunately, neither option ever came as Mountain Glenn was soon abandoned and Vault-Tec was shutdown. This meant that every Vault dweller in the Cryogen Pods were left cryogenically frozen in time. As years passed, Vault-Tec, along with Vault 180, was forgotten.

The only thing that remained of the company was the knowledge that their invention of the Pip-Boy was such a great technological advancement, that it later led to the development and production of the common day Scrolls used throughout Remnant. While the Pip-Boy could still operate in perfect condition and was completely capable of everything that a Scroll was, the Pip-Boy's design of being strapped to the user's forearm was quickly overtaken by the slick and lightweight design of the Scroll.

Regardless, Vault 180 was left abandoned and forgotten along with the cryogenically frozen Vault dwellers inside the sealed vault. As the years went by, sections of the vault would slowly shutdown from power failure due to no regular maintenance being done on the power generator.

Then about 60 years after Vault 180 had been sealed, the Cryopods began having critical malfunctions due to the low power in the vault. As a result, almost all of the life support systems in the Cryopods had failed. The only Cryopod that hadn't fully malfunctioned had a 17-year-old boy by the name of Y/N L/N inside.

When he was 16, his parents had brought him with them to work on the expansion of Vale. It had only been a month after he turned 17 when everyone had taken refuge in the tunnels and his family entered the vault.

So as the other Cryogen Pods were continuing to have critical malfunctions and life support failures, Y/N's Cryopod had a different malfunction. It began to instead defrost the Vault dweller inside and the boy slowly regained his consciousness after being frozen in Cryo Stasis for roughly 6 decades. And that is where this story begins...

Your POV

I felt the cold air of the Cryopod I was in around me as regained consciousness. I shivered and banged on the Cryopod hatch until it finally released and opened. I started to climb out of the pod, only to fall down onto the floor from being in the Cryopod for so long. I heard as the intercom system announced, "Critical failure in Cryogenic Array. All Vault residents must vacate immediately." Once I regained the ability to stand, I rushed over to the Cryopods that my parents were in and tried to open them. But no matter how hard I tried, the manual override on Cryopod doors wouldn't activate on either of them. I grabbed my glasses and rushed to the nearby terminal to try opening the pods that way. It was a monitoring terminal and it revealed the one thing that I was fearing. It said that all of the other people in the Cryopods were dead and the cause of death was asphyxiation due to life support failure.