New Years Special

Start from the beginning

Whatever the festival is, I can see it's a massive deal for Querencians just by how Beau's face lights up every time she talks about it. It welcomes the new year and the start of spring. Beau had splurged way more than I thought she would to prepare us. Even so, we're still borrowing as much as we can from each other and Niki and Amélie to complete our outfits. 

Like the Sprite, our outfits were matching two pieces. A long cropped shirt with a hood and a skirt with a split that runs to our ankles. We were both weighed down by the masses of silver jewellery that we had collected. Silver was chosen especially to represent the moon and the stars. 

I stare into my handheld mirror at my finished facepaint, situated just underneath the silver headpiece-chain-thingie that Beau insisted I wore. I glance up at the mirror above the vanity, hardly believing that I'm looking at myself. The transformation from me to fairy Sprite was nearly complete except for the flowers that Beau was still braiding into my hair. 

The outfit Beau bought for me is a deep blue colour littered with silver. Patterned black tights are revealed by the long split in the skirt. The fabric is so soft and flowy, similar to the silky ocean waves in the night, silver specks reflecting the starry night sky above. Dark sleeves that match my skirt cling to my arms and shimmer with minuscule silver sparkles in the light. My hood is decorated similarly, though the tiny sparkles resemble stars. However, I don't think I'll ever understand why we're wearing such stupid tops in the thick of cold winter weather. This thing can hardly be called a top since it reveals nearly all of my ribcage. 

I sigh again. "We're going to freeze."

Niki and Beau match my sigh with groans of their own, both long used to my complaining.

"You're such an elytrian," Beau rolls her eyes. I frown thoroughly disagreeing with her statement. 

"You literally have abs! You should be showing them off," Niki adds making me frown more. I poke my stomach trying to understand what they mean. 

"I still don't get why, it's just muscle," I say. Maybe Beau is right, elytrian culture is basically a part of my soul. 

Niki scoffs. "Not everybody has got rock-hard abs from training every day of their lives, Star."

"I still don't get it," I grumble. 

"You'll love it when you're down there," Beau waves her hand dismissively and finishes what she was doing in my hair. "Finished."

"Me too," Niki says taking her hands out of Beau's thick curls. 

I turn around to get a look at Beau and am immediately blown away by Niki's handiwork. Beau's split dyed hair had been tamed into an intricate braid with pink flowers dotting the white strands and blue in the black strands. It reminded me of marble the way her colours combined. 

Beau's outfit was black with silver accents to match her beautiful black and white wings. The silhouette of her clothes is identical to mine only her skirt has more layers for extra flowyness. Significantly more jewellery had been lathered over Beau. She even wore some strange chain thing, similar to the one I wore on my head, that hooked onto the bottom of her shirt and hung over her naval. To add extra drama, a silver belt made of crescent moons hung on her hips. 

"You look like a goddess," I gape at Beau making her and Niki laugh. 

Beau quickly snaps my hanging jaw shut with a cheeky grin. "You ready for the fun part?"

My eyes widen as I catch what Beau's hinting at and I quickly nod. This is definitely going to be the fun part. 

I'm not sure when, but Beau got me addicted to some strange dust solution that she calls "wing glitter". The stuff is made in Cornucopia for high-end buyers, and Beau managed to snag some cheap from a starborne at the Pube. Enderian and starborne women love to coat their skin with it to look extra glowy in the evening at parties. I doubt tonight any starbornes are going to be partying. Most go to the mountain peaks to soak up the blue moon's energy. As being said to have descended from the sky aeons ago, there is nothing they love more than to be out in the night absorbing the energy of the cosmos. The blue moon gives them extra connection and peace of mind.