Bonus Chapter

Hello Everybody! 

This is a little bonus chapter for you guys. I originally published this as a 100K special at the end of my Wilting Marigolds book :) I thought I would post it here too after I finished the story. Some of my original messages are at the bottom too. 

I love you all!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scattered light is cast on the floor through the large paned window in the parlour. The thick canopy of trees that held up the house rarely let any light into the house, only the best rooms got light like this. I was lucky to have light in my room at all.

Mother lounges on the couch with a disinterested expression as she often does. I try to play with a little more passion, but she doesn't bite. I don't know why I even had my hopes up. She lays on her side, one delicately mottled wing under her arm and the other over her shoulder. The length of her gold patterned dress droops to the floor and her thick gold earrings and necklace follow suit. I feel my plain brown wings twinge jealously. My distraction causes me to miss a note and the brace on my right wing creaks angrily.

I focus on the weight of the piano keys under my fingers, and the sweet melody I was playing. My mother frowns and I force away my frustrated blush. I ignore the parts of my mind that want to curse as I miss the notes that my small hands can't reach. When I'm older I'll be able to do it. Amélie wouldn't have a problem with this, a voice in my mind says. I shove it away.

Like this white room, my sister is pristine and perfect, not a hair out of place. The couches were placed purposefully around the expensive glass table my mother had made by Blazebornes in the Nether district of Cornucopia. Paintings of our family members in their military uniforms hung in gold frames welded by Piglin Brutes. Curtains silkily woven by Arachnids in Aranea and floors polished so well I can see my reflection in them. A fireplace that we never lit because it was always too hot but we have it simply because it looks expensive. It was expensive.

The thick rainforest regions of Alifro were no place for fires. It rained too often for them to stay lit and it was too hot to even want to light them in the first place. I look at my mother hopefully, but her expression remains distant. I knew what she was waiting for, and it was the climax of the song I was playing.

My sister both dressed and looked like the perfect elytrian like how the parlour looked like it belonged in a castle. Blond hair that fell delicately in waves paired with the bluest eyes I'd ever seen. Sandy-coloured mottled wings, a rare colour in elytrians. Dressed crisply in the finest and latest fashions of blouses and skirts, her hair tied back neatly, carefully selected jewellery and always a ribbon in her hair.

The creek of the parlour door makes me sigh whilst my mother almost leaps for joy.

"Amélie!" she cries and rushes to my sister. She looked clean in her academy uniform, the shiny golden pin on her lapel signifying her graduation. The copper badge next to it signified her unusual youth in her class.

"Oh, darling you look so stunning in your uniform! Once you join the army we'll have your portrait painted and hung in the parlour," I huff and can't help but stare at the golden child, my parent's favourite.

I spent just as many hours as her training. My body was just as strong and agile, my sword just as sharp and quick. But she had wings that worked. My brace suddenly feels heavier than usual. I do everything just like she does. I dress the way my Mother likes, a polite plain pleated skirt and blouse. Something that most girls wore, modest and petite. My sister suits the look more than I.