Chapter 15

TW: SWEARING

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bars of the spinning pole rattle as I hit them over and over again

The bars of the spinning pole rattle as I hit them over and over again. My hands had been thoroughly wrapped and padded, but even with the protection, I could feel my wrists and knuckles starting to swell. I had been at it for hours trying to scrape the events of this morning from my brain. But at the same time, I didn't want to forget any of it. 

I was surprised when I returned in the early hours of the morning to see that Phil and Amélie had already flown off. When I asked a phantom maid where everybody was, she said that Phil had taken Wilbur and Sneeg to today's council meeting with him. My stomach launched itself into my chest when she said so and I darted to my room hoping that Sneeg had left a note in the dollhouse. He did... it was very brief. 

We'll see you in a bit Star, big Phil wanted Wilbur to look after his documents for him and I'm going because I'm the best explorer there is. Don't freak out, but if you do I saw vodka and tomato juice in the kitchen ;) SAVE SOME FOR ME!

I rolled my eyes knowing that if Sneeg had time to write a note everything was probably fine. 

When I woke up in Tommy's bed, I felt like I had been wrapped in a warm fluffy blanket. Any chills that I had felt the night before were long gone. I opened my eyes and was confused for a moment when all I could see was white. It didn't take me long to realise that I was actually staring at Tommy's shirt or for the nervous panic and butterflies to take over my entire body. 

Tommy's arms were firmly wrapped around my lower back, just under my wings, and his wings were hugging my hips and legs. I swear I've never blushed harder in my life. My massive brown wings overlapped his red and white wings, and nearly covered his entire body whilst I was neatly tucked into his chest. 

I tried to peel him off and move away before he woke up, but every time I moved he pulled me in tighter. With a sigh, I gave in and let him hold me. The longer I lay there the more guilt piled into my stomach. I don't deserve something as comforting as this, but I wanted it so badly. Comfort was not something that was just given so freely, it was hard-earned. The peace and wealth that Alifero experiences are things that were fought for, things that people bled for. 

Looking up at Tommy's dozing face, I smiled at his dopey expression and let myself hope that I could feel this comfort again someday. I doubted that it would ever happen. It's hard to ignore how I feel about Tommy now that I'm well aware of it. Everything he did seemed to affect me no matter how small of a gesture. A simple wave or a smile sent my brain reeling, and the slightest touch warmed my soul. At that moment, the golden sunlight that touched Tommy's expression glowed a little brighter and made me wish for joy like this every day. 

I froze as Tommy started to shift and wake up. Not knowing what else to do, I clamped my eyes shut and pretended that I was still asleep. A moment later I felt him tense and retract from me. My heart sank knowing he was probably repulsed by the fact that he was so close to an elytrian, an enemy of his country.