Chapter 8 - Better be...

|~------------------------------------------~|

The black lake was the first obstacle for me to get across. What was so hard about it? Oh, nothing except for the GIANT SQUID! Not to mention the fact that I doubt the water is sanitary.

Hesitantly, I got into one of the small rocky boats, more than enough hazards popping out at me. I slowly put my hand to one open nail and, to my amazement, it was completely smooth. "Probably an enchantment," I muttered to myself. 

Suddenly, I flinched as the boat rocked, and some children got in. "Oops, sorry! Oh, wait I should introduce myself. That's what you're supposed to do when you meet someone, right? My name's Susan Bones, your new female schoolmate!"

'And now we introduce the second obstacle,' I thought to myself, looking at the girl with a blank face. 'Children.'

"I'm Terry Boot. Male." 

"Blaize Zabini. Male."

The children looked at me expectantly, and I barely contained a sigh. Peer pressure does work wonders.

"Hadrian Peverell. Male."

I saw their eyebrows raise as they head my eyebrow, probably expecting some elaboration or explanation. None came.

Silence filled the air, but not for long as suddenly it started moving forwards moving across the dirty sea water with a fucking squid and some mermaids underneath us that could easily make us drown. Yay.

A loud squeal came from Bones as she held onto the boat like it was the only meth she had left. Maybe that isn't the best example to use when regarding a child. Anygays...

I raised an eyebrow as she clamped her hand over her mouth, her face flushed red.

Boot turned his head away barely containing his laughter, but eventually, it became too much and he just burst out laughing. 

For a second we all just looked at him, then Bones started laughing with him, even the stone-faced Zabini started chuckling. 

The sound of their laughter filled the air, alleviating some tension. The cold chilling air somehow became a bit warmer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boat eventually made it to the castle. We walked in the door and were hustled into some hallway. 

The thick stench of food drifted around and I felt to urge to wrinkle my nose. Then an old woman with a tall black pointy hat and a stern expression walked in.

A tight-lipped smile graced her face as she started at us assessingly. For a moment her eyes lingered on my figure then she quickly looked away. With a light cough, she started speaking.

"Ahem! Welcome to Hogwarts," she stated, a certain warmness in her voice. "The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the great hall, you will be sorted into your houses..." I tuned her out, my gaze focused on the door behind her.

A slight shiver ran down my spine as the strong presence behind the door seemed to shift. I closed an eye, schooling my expression to make it seem as though I was tired. The magical presence was... enormous to say the least. 

Not just the presence of whoever was behind that door, but the school itself had such vibrant magic. "No wonder some of the best maji have come from this school," I whispered to myself. 

To be completely honest I had thought that Hogwarts wasn't the best of schools. I only came because I felt as if it was my only option, or at least the only option I knew about. From what I'd gathered the teaching here is subpar at best.