TWENTY ONE - Dreaded Call

"Alright, where are we going?" David asked as their driver began to drive, taking off his sunglasses as he got comfortable.

Mari did the same, "We're going to check into our hotel."

"Then?"

"Recording session."

David nodded, looking out the window at the new environment around him. It was a beautiful city, somewhere he'd never been before.

"Have you ever been here before?" He asked, eyes practically glued to the window.

"Yes, but very briefly. It was to visit a friend." Mari responded, staring out the other window.

"But it's pretty here," She said, "I like it."

He nodded, "Me too."

The two sat in silence, staring out the window for the length of the short car ride. There wasn't much traffic, the roads weren't busy. As the car stopped in front of the hotel, Mari and David got their bags out the car and went inside to check in.

"You wouldn't happen to know German, would you?" Mari asked as they stepped into the lobby.

"Actually, I would."

She watched in amusement as he stepped up to the desk and spoke to the woman in German, coming back in her direction with a smug look and the key to their hotel room in his hand.

As they walked a ways down the hall in silence and entered an elevator, Mari spoke up.

"I was joking, you know. I speak German quite well."

David smiled, finding the situation laughable.

"She liked me more." he said, glancing to Mari and giving her a wink.

"You're so corny." she laughed, watching him feign shock.

"No I'm not." he began, "Can't believe this, I fly with you to Berlin, almost fall out the plane--"

"You didn't fall, you tripped on the stairs getting out, big deal!" she laughed, watching him put a hand over his heart and drop his jaw.

"I near broke a leg!"

"I'm starting to think you don't want to be here!" she joked as they stepped out of the elevator.

"I'm having a lovely time, but I wouldn't have had as lovely of a time if I'd had to be wheeled into the lobby."

They laughed as they finally reached their room, David fumbling with the keys as he tried to open the door.

"Having trouble?" Mari asked after a moment of entertaining herself, watching David continue to try and open the door.

"No." he said, finally unlocking it so the two could enter.

It was a beautiful room. Windows so you could see the outside, two nicely made beds, a T.V on top of a drawer set at the front of the room.

"Lovely." Mari said, setting her bags down on the bed farthest from the window, David making his way over to the other.

"Alright, let's look at the schedule for the week." she said, unzipping her bag as David made his way next to her, standing across from her on the other side of the bed.

"Today all we have to do is a recording session, tomorrow at 12:30 we'll stop by the place and look at it, later afterwards we have our first show to play."

David nodded, fiddling with the room key in his hand.

"Alright, I suppose we'll head there now?" he said, though it came out as more of a question. He tilted his head, looking at the woman for confirmation.