33 - Evan Makes a Play

A few days later we sat in a conference room at a law firm in downtown Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Sophie gave up the hoodie and wore instead a white Amish bonnet.

The lady who joined us introduced herself as Molly Stanford. As we shook hands, I asked, "Stanford, as in the university?"

"Yes, but I didn't graduate from there. I went to Cornell Law School."

I didn't know if I was supposed to be impressed by that. I knew nothing about law schools. Molly was young-looking and didn't fit my stereotype of a serious lawyer. "Please don't be offended, but I need to ask. Are you really an attorney or are you a paralegal?"

She took my question in stride and didn't seem insulted. "I just graduated this year, but I assure you I passed the bar exam. I'm the most junior person in this office, but don't be concerned. Senior members of our staff review all my cases."

If she just graduated from law school that would make her what? Twenty-four? Hmm, my age. I checked her out as she shook hands with Sophie. Molly was attractive in a girl next door kind of way. She was well put together in a tailored business suit that flattered her figure. The round-framed glasses she slipped on made her look even cuter. Her nails were neatly manicured and polished.

She wore no ring.

After we sat, Molly pulled a legal pad from her briefcase and a recorder. She looked at us. "Do you mind if I record our interview?"

"I don't mind, but as I explained when making this appointment, Sophie doesn't speak."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I don't inspire much confidence by forgetting something so basic about my client right from the start."

I couldn't help but smile at her self-deprecating attitude. "Actually, I trust you more after realizing how down to earth you are."

Molly blushed but said nothing.

Sophie looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

During the next hour, Molly studied Sophie's journal and asked a lot of clarifying questions. We held nothing back and were completely forthcoming, even explaining our ruse about telling everyone I was Sophie's half-brother.

When we were all done, Molly sat back in her chair and steepled her fingers. She eyed me. "Mister Snyder—"

"—Call me Evan."

"Okay, Evan, here's the situation. Although you are paying my bill, I'm technically not representing you. I'm representing Sophie."

"Yes, I get that."

"Please understand I need you to step out for a few minutes so I can speak privately with Sophie about a few matters falling under attorney-client privilege."

I suspected she wanted to ask Sophie privately if our relationship was on the level and as platonic as we made it out to be. She wanted to make sure I wasn't forcing her or harassing her in any way. I wasn't offended. I respected Molly for her caution. "I spotted a break room on the way in. Can I wait for you there and steal one of your firm's K-cups?"

Molly grinned. "Yes, of course, help yourself."

The "few minutes" Molly spoke of lasted over half-an-hour. Long enough for me to make two cups of coffee. Sophie needed to write all the answers which I knew would slow things down, but I wondered why it was taking so long.

Eventually, Molly asked me to join them. After I sat, she said, "Sophie is very fortunate to have found you. Not many men would've gone to the great lengths you did to care for her well-being."

"Actually, I consider myself to be the fortunate one."

Molly sighed. "You're humble too. You restore my faith in men."