4 - One Pillow Only!

Where was my common sense? I was being ridiculous, reading too much into Sophie's praying. The young lady obviously had a religious upbringing. Her praying did make me uncomfortable, but out of respect for her faith, I didn't begin eating until she finished.

I watched her eat, trying not to be obvious about it. Sophie shoveled in the stew, occasionally dabbing her lips with the paper towel I had given her. She was ravenous and ate a second helping. I wondered when she had last eaten.

Living alone, I didn't care about the finer things like cloth napkins. Now, I couldn't help feeling embarrassed about not having something fancier, more suitable for my princess guest.

Sophie sat erect, poised, as if she had been trained in proper manners. She seemed educated and refined. When she finished, she rested the spoon in her bowl and looked at me expectantly.

"Would you like anything else?"

Abruptly, she stood, grabbed her empty bowl and mine and cleared the table.

"Hey, you don't have to do that."

Too late, she already placed the dirty dishes in the sink and began rinsing them.

I let her go, sensing it was important for her to feel as if she were contributing her share of the work. When done with the dishes, she turned, leaned her back against the sink and faced me.

Was she trying to tell me something?

"Thank you for doing the dishes."

Sophie gave a curt nod and walked away into the living room. She plopped onto my sofa as if she owned it. Her boldness amused me. She leaned her head back into the cushion and closed her eyes.

"Sophie?"

She opened her eyes.

"Is everything okay?"

She pressed her hands together and laid her cheek against them indicating she was sleepy.

Although the sun had set, it was only half past six. I didn't know how long Sophie had been awake or what kind of trauma she had been through earlier.

I pulled fresh sheets from the linen shelf in the bathroom and changed the bedding. No way could I allow Sophie to sleep on my gross sheets that hadn't been washed in probably three weeks, maybe four. I lost track when I had last changed them.

She approached and leaned against the bedroom door jamb, watching me, wearing a quizzical expression.

"The bed is for you. I'll take the sofa." I worried she might raise a fuss about putting me out of my own bed, so I spoke in a commanding tone to indicate the matter was settled.

She didn't respond.

After I finished slipping on the fresh pillowcases, I turned to her and grinned. "You can sleep in my bed, but don't even think about confiscating both of my pillows. I'm taking this one."

Her face transformed into a silent giggle. When I sidled past her to leave the room, she grabbed my wrist in a vice grip.

"Ow! That's the second time you grabbed me like that. You really don't have to bruise me to get my attention."

Another silent giggle. She mouthed the words, "Thank you," before releasing me.

She hadn't really hurt me, but I rubbed my wrist in an exaggerated way. "Good night, Sophie."

She laid a hand on my chest and nodded. I read it as her way of also wishing me a good night.

I retreated to the living room feeling not the least bit sleepy. Reclining on the sofa with my pillow, I picked up the remote. For the next few hours, I tried watching TV with the volume muted so as not to disturb her. I couldn't concentrate.

Who was Sophie? What was her story? Why had I found her? Why was I suddenly responsible for another human being when all I really wanted was to be left alone.

My mind drifted, wondering if some unexplained force was at work. I chided myself. "You're being an idiot again."

I mentally reviewed the entire incident. Sophie carried nothing. Her dress had no pockets. She had no wallet and no ID that I knew of. No luggage, no sign of how she ended up the way she did. I thought I'd go crazy speculating. Morning couldn't come soon enough. Morning, when I would demand some answers.

 Morning, when I would demand some answers

Top Photo Credit: Pexels/Valeria Burdyka

Silent StrangerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara