Nellie glared at the man as she slowly crossed over to her desk and took a seat. She felt the pistol that was strapped to the underside of the desk and a trickle of relief cut through her fear, the cold steel serving as a comforting reminder to her that if Kimber tried anything, he would end up with a bullet in his forehead. Kimber and his associate, Roberts, took a seat across from her desk.

"It's Miss," she corrected with a stern voice.

Kimber's smile widened. "Ah, forgive me. I was under the assumption you and Mister Shelby were...together." Given his tone, Nellie could tell that he was being intentionally cruel. She recalled the day he barged into the Garrison to reprimand Thomas and how he had demanded to know if Nellie had truly returned to Birmingham or not.

Thomas may have wanted to shield Nellie from the truth of what happened, but her investigation gave her all the answers she needed. Billy Kimber viewed Nellie as a threat. He thought she was gone, dead, just like the rest of her family. This was why he was twisting the knife he plunged into her gut five years ago.

Nellie smiled coldly at the man. "You were mistaken," she said softly. "I am a single woman." She flashed her left hand for emphasis, which only seemed to further intrigue Kimber.

He shifted in his seat. "I saw you at Cheltenham," he pointed out as his brows drew over confused eyes. "You were there with Thomas and that blonde whore." Nellie's lips twitched. "If I'm not mistaken, I saw rings that day."

Kimber wasn't as stupid as he appeared, then. Or perhaps it was Roberts that was feeding him all of his observations in an effort to make his boss seem smarter. That was the most likely reason given the way Roberts shifted in his seat and shot his boss a quick glance. "It was a ruse to get into the tracks. As I'm sure you're aware, Thomas does not have a problem with lies."

Kimber hummed as he nodded and exchanged a glance with his associate. The venom in her tone seemed to intrigue him. "Yes, well, I learned that the hard way, didn't I, love?" Nellie cringed at Kimber's words and offered no response. "Thomas Shelby assured me that you were not in Birmingham, Miss Allyn."

Nellie lifted her chin and maintained a blank expression as Kimber stared at her. "Thomas was mistaken," she lied softly. "But I must know why you care so much, Mr. Kimber. I can't say that I recall my father being in business with you and your men."

Her words were just as lethal as Kimber's and it seemed she offended him with her implications. Nellie bit back the grin that threatened to cross her lips as Kimber's smile morphed into a scowl. He collected himself with a cursory glance to Roberts, who looked meek as ever.

"Ah, well, I was in business with your father, darlin'. Alfie Allyn." Kimber hummed and it took all of Nellie's strength to not draw her gun and put a bullet between his eyes for simply daring to even utter her father's name. She concealed her rage with a pleasant smile as she continued to toy with the pistol strapped to her deks.

Kimber leaned forward as his eyes roved over her newly built and furnished office. He pursed his lips and Nellie couldn't help but wonder if he was picturing what this very same room had looked like two years ago when he set it ablaze. "You certainly settled in quickly." His eyes darted back to Nellie's face. "Last I heard, Allyn Stables had been reduced to nothing but ash."

Nellie's eyes twitched. Her grip tightened around the cool steel of her pistol. "It was," she snapped. "I rebuilt my father's legacy and I have been collaborating with the police to get to the bottom of the mystery of the fire." The lies came quickly and easily, and based on the way Kimber's head titled ever-so-slightly, she deduced that he believed her. Nellie had not gone to the police, for doing so would be a waste of time.