✧ 17 ✧

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐏𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐈𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄, 𝐌𝐑𝐒

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐏𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐈𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄, 𝐌𝐑𝐒. 𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘𝐍." Nellie looked up from her books, her eyes meeting those of the sheepish stable master she hired a few weeks prior. Nellie leaned back, resting her pen in the crease of the book as she flipped it shut, standing to greet the man.

"It's Miss," she corrected softly with a kind smile. "No husband around here." She smoothed her skirts down as she stepped around the desk, her heels clicking across the oak floors as she and the stable master made their way out of the office.

There was a long trailer parked in the gravel lot, the driver leaned against the side as he puffed on his cigarette. A trail of silver trickled from his nose and lips as he stood and approached the two, his hand tipping his hat in a polite greeting.

"Mornin'," he said with a smile, his cigarette dangling from his lips. "Mrs. Allyn?"

Nellie nodded, biting back the sigh that threatened to leave her chest. "Yes," she said, mild resignation tainting her otherwise cheery tone, "that would be me."

He nodded, leading the two around the trailer as he flicked his cigarette onto the gravel before he stomped it out. Nellie's expression soured, but she didn't get the chance to scold the man for littering on her property before he cracked the trailer open, slinging the doors open without caution as he did so.

Her eyes widened as she gazed at the rear of a beautiful black gelding. He stamped a hoof impatiently, letting out a low snort as Oliver, her stable master, leapt into the trailer and began unloading the horse.

She let out a low sigh, a grin spreading across her face as the horse cautiously backed out of the trailer. The driver made himself busy unloading the silver mare that was tied up beside the gelding.

Soon enough, she intended to find herself a stallion so she could stop buying horses and begin breeding her own. And if she played her cards right, she'd get every single horse of hers that was in Billy Kimber's possession.

"Wow," she whispered, her hand sliding along the neck of the silver thoroughbred mare as she backed out of the trailer. Royale was her name, and she was quite a popular horse. Nellie had to spend a hefty sum of money to acquire her, but it was worth the investment.

Nellie stepped in front of Royale, who snorted. She allowed the beast to become acquainted with her scent before she rested her hand upon her velvety muzzle, a delighted grin spreading across her face.

"Beautiful."

Oliver stepped up beside her with Secret Shadow in tow. The gelding snorted and tugged on the reigns, but Oliver kept him firmly in check as Nellie inspected her new horses. They were both fine, prize-winning horses.

Glee filled Nellie's heart as she patted them both on the muzzles and instructed Oliver to take them to the stables. She turned back to the delivery driver, who had another cigarette dangling from his lips now.