✧ 20 ✧

HOOVES CLOPPED over gravel as Nellie trotted out of the arena and across the paddock

HOOVES CLOPPED over gravel as Nellie trotted out of the arena and across the paddock. Royale trotted well and Nellie could feel the twitching of her muscles as the mare crossed the paddock. They slipped through the open gate and Nellie flashed Oliver a smile as the stablemaster closed up behind her before trailing her to the stables.

Secret Shadow grazed in the paddock, his ink-black tail swishing behind him. It was a lovely warm day, the sun rays beating down upon Nellie's back as she pulled Royale to a stop and dismounted. The mare snorted and immediately lowered her head to graze on a nearby patch of clovers.

Nellie watched her horse graze, the smile on her face faint and empty. She felt no warmth in her chest as she gazed upon the horse, her mind wandering back to that day a week ago. Her heart seized in her chest as the image of Thomas's tear-filled eyes flooded her mind.

"Lovely ridin', Miss." Oliver's voice cut through Nellie's thoughts as she unclasped her helmet. Swiveling, she smiled at Oliver as he took Royale's reins and led her into the stable.

Nellie let out a breath as she hovered at the entrance. She watched Oliver untack the mare and start to brush her down. "Indeed," she murmured. "Another six months and she ought to be race ready."

Oliver nodded in agreement and Nellie bid him goodbye. Her helmet was tucked against her side as she made her way across the grounds and to the main building. The sun was relentless and Nellie had to squint as she approached the front door. She hesitated, her hand resting on the doorknob as she gazed out at the front drive. Dust clouded the air as if someone had just driven down the gravel. When her gaze shifted to the right, she spotted the fine black car parked in the spot closest to the building.

Nellie frowned. She hadn't been expecting any visitors and despite her scrutinizing, she did not recognize the car. Carefully, she opened the front door and slipped inside, pausing to listen for the sound of voices or footsteps. It was silent as she crossed over to her office. She was in the process of plucking her riding gloves from her fingers when she swung the door open with her hip, freezing immediately upon spotting the two men standing before the fireplace.

Their faces were hidden from view as they gazed into the flickering flames, and though Nellie had yet to see them, unease washed over her. She slowed, her head cocking as she slowly set her riding helmet on the table next to the door.

"Can I help you, gentlemen?" She spoke curtly, her tone sharp as she ventured further into her occupied office. The business was not open yet, therefore no one should be in her office without having made an appointment.

When the men turned around, Nellie's blood ran cold. She gazed into Billy Kimber's eyes as every muscle in her body went rigid and a churning mixture of fear and rage trickled into her chest.

Billy grinned, that same devious glint in his eyes that Nellie had seen so many times. She knew what kind of man Billy Kimber was and she knew exactly what he had done to her family. She would be naive to underestimate why he was visiting her. "Mrs. Eleanor Allyn," Kimber said slowly, his head cocking as he took a moseying step forward, his hands tucked into his pockets. "I have heard so much about you, dear."