✧ 11 ✧

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐑 𝐁𝐔𝐌𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐀𝐃, 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐀𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐄 𝐆𝐀𝐙𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐖

      𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐑 𝐁𝐔𝐌𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐀𝐃, 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐆𝐄 𝐀𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐄 𝐆𝐀𝐙𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐖. Her nerves were still shot from the excitement that occurred a few days ago, so she found it quite difficult to go on about her normal life.

She was waiting for something to happen again...for the Lees to return, only this time, prepared to finish what they had started. Nellie was startled when Thomas coughed, her body jerking in an almost violent manner.

Thomas hesitated, his eyes darting from to spooked woman beside him to the road and back. "Is everything alright?" Thomas asked softly, his hand returning to the wheel.

Nellie, embarrassed by her reaction, nodded in response. "Of course," she lied. "I'm fine. Just a bit jumpy." She gave Thomas a strained smile, unable to conjure up one that was even passable as a real.

Truth be told, it wasn't just the Lees attack that had the woman jittery. It was what she had discovered as she began the process of reconstructing her stables. After the break-in, Nellie promptly moved her safe to a safer location and sorted through the money.

What caught her attention, though, wasn't the bills in the box. It was the file hidden away at the back of the safe. In it was documentation of the growth of Allyn Stables. They were going to expand, Nellie discovered, and attempt to ally with the Birmingham Boys.

Aka, Billy Kimber's gang. According to the documents, the rivalry between the Peaky Blinders and the Birmingham Boys was an issue the heads of the Allyn and Shelby families wanted dealt with. So, Nellie's father proposed an idea: expand the stables and extend a work opportunity to the Birmingham Boys.

If Kimber and his men would work the racecourses for money, Nellie's father would give them a cut of his earnings. Earnings he won from his prized racehorses.

Only the alliance never became a real thing. The proposal was just that: a proposal. It was nothing more than Alfie Allyn's attempt to work something out to benefit all parties included. There was no evidence that he had even contacted Kimber and his men to discuss the logistics.

That's what worried Nellie. After seeing her racehorse in Kimber's stall at the races, she began to grow suspicious of the man. And those files...those files were damning.

She knew who killed her family and destroyed her business. Now she just had to figure out a way to handle it.

"What are you thinking about?" Thomas asked after a long moment of silence, his gravelly voice dragging Nellie out of her thoughts.

She turned and gazed at the side of his face, her lips pinched together in an attempt to keep the floodgates closed. Truth be told, she didn't want to tell Tommy. She didn't know what he would say and she was terrified that he already knew. She couldn't imagine why he would withhold such important information...nor why he would attempt an alliance with the very man who destroyed Nellie's family.