Chapter 27

About five months pass after Noel is born. Noel now looks like he's seven years old instead of five months. Janie is at the baby doctor right now with Leah and Paul. Leah didn't want to leave Janie's side, and she hasn't since she discovered Janie was having a baby.

"Okay, mom, dad, godmother," the ultrasound tech says, "would you like to know the sex of the baby?"

"Yes," they all reply together.

The technician smiles and she clicks on a few things and types. The woman turns the screen and shows the baby.

"It's a boy."

"I told you it was a boy," Janie says to Paul.

"Yeah, you did," Paul replies.

Janie, Leah, and Paul go out to Janie's Jeep and she drives them to Sam's. They go inside.

"Well?" Jared urges.

"It's a boy!"
✔️✔️✔️✔️

In Italy, Irina goes to see the Volturi. She finds the Kings all sitting at a table. Caius is standing beside Marcus, they're both looking through ancient books like Aro us. Only Aro is sitting down in a chair, the book in his hands. 

"What a pleasant surprise," Aro speaks when he notices Irina Denali being led in by Dimitri and Felix.

"What do you want? Hmm?" Caius asks coldly.

The coldness is nothing new. Caius is the evil one. He's cold and murderous. Marcus is the depressed one, his mate was killed centuries ago when he and Didyme were preparing to leave the castle. Aro is the main King. He's more savage than the others if he needs to be. And he listens better.

"I have to report a crime," Irina says. "The Cullens..." she says and Aro closes his book. "They've done something terrible."

Aro gets up and he approaches her. "Allow me, my dear." Aro takes Irina's hand, seeing that the Cullens have created an immortal child. "Oh my."
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Janie is talking to her nephew at the Cullen house. Bella is excited to be having a nephew like Janie does.

Everyone else is gathered and listening to Edward play the piano when Alice has a vision of the Volturi coming to Forks to kill them all and drops the vase of flowers she was carrying.

"What is it, Alice?" Jasper asks as he hurries to her side.

"The Volturi," Alice says and everyone looks at her. "They're coming for us. Aro, Caius, Marcus, the Guard. And lrina."

"Come here, baby," Bella says and Noel goes to her and Emmett and Rosalie pull Janie to them.

"Why?" Carlisle queries.

"What did lrina see in the woods?" Edward asks his wife.

"We were walking," Bella claims.

"Noel was catching snowflakes," Jacob announces.

"Of course," Edward says. "Irina thinks Noel's an lmmortal Child."

Carlisle decides to recount the history of immortal children for Bella since it's her son in danger. "The lmmortal Children were very beautiful. So enchanting. To be near them was to love them. But their development was frozen at the age they were turned. They couldn't be taught or restrained. A single tantrum could destroy an entire village. Humans heard about the devastation. Stories spread. The Volturi were forced to intervene. Since the Children couldn't protect our secret, they had to be destroyed. Their creators grew very attached and fought to protect them. Long-established covens were torn apart. Countless humans slaughtered. Traditions, friends, even families. Lost." He tells the, about the Denali's mother.

"So the Denalis' mother made an lmmortal Child?" Bella asks.

"Yes, and she paid the price," Carlisle says. "They decapitated the mother and burned her with the immortal child."

"Well, Noel's nothing like those children. He was born, not bitten," Bella says. "He grows every single day."

"So can't you just explain that to the Volturi?" Jacob asks.

"Aro has enough proof in lrina's thoughts," Edward says to the wolf who imprinted on his son.

"So we fight."

"Their offensive weapons are too powerful," Jasper says to Jacob's words. "No one can stand against Jane."

"Alec's even worse," Alice says.

"Well, then we convince them," Bella says.

"They're coming to kill us," Emmett says, "not to talk."

"No, you're right," Edward says. "They won't listen to us. But maybe others can convince them. Carlisle, you have friends all around the world."

"I won't ask them to fight," Carlisle says.

"Not fight; witness," Edward says. "If enough people knew the truth, maybe we could convince the Volturi to listen."

Esme turns to Carlisle. "We can ask our friends."

"I can talk to Sam and the wolves," Janie says, "the wolves in his pack."
✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️

Jacob sees Sam and Janie walking up the house a the next morning; Sam gives Carlisle a note.

"Alice asked us specifically to give you that," Sam says. "She and Jasper crossed our lands to the ocean last night."

Carlisle reads the note and looks at the others.

"Carlisle?" Esme asks.

"They've left us," Carlisle claims.

"Why?" Rosalie asks.

"She didn't say," Carlisle says.

"Can I see that?" Bella asks and Carlisle hands her the note.

Gather as many witnesses as you can before the snow sticks to the ground. That's when they'll come.

Bella turns the note over and sees that it's a page torn from 'The Merchant of Venice' by William Shakespeare.

"Now, let's get you home before Paul kills me," Sam says.

He goes into some pushes and he removes his shorts and hooded sleeveless shirt. He shifts and comes out. Janie climbs onto the alpha when he lays down. Bella watches as he stands up. He moves his head.

"You're so bossy," Janie murmurs and he takes off running through the woods once she's got a grip on his fur and is holding on.

"She's made for the wolves," Bella says.

"Just like you were made for us," Edward says to his wife as he and Noel step out.

Bella smiles at her husband and son, feeling nothing but pure love.