After twenty minutes of back and forth, the two women get off the phone and mine starts vibrating on the sofa. I sigh before picking it up.

Here we go.

"Wassup, Gab?"

"G, I know you heard mama trippin.' Next time Farad drops Jamari off, I'ma schedule it so that you're the only one home 'cause — "

"No."

"What? Why? Don't tell me she got you too."

"She ain't do nothin', Gab," I put Jamari down and turn my back to my parents as they stare at me, listening keenly to the conversation. "I don't want to be alone with Farad anymore. Ever."

"What did he do?" My dad booms and I hear Gabriella scoffing on the other line. "Yeah, what did he do that was so bad, G?"

"I just didn't like the slick comments he made about how I looked. That's all."

"So in other words...nothin'." She sucks her teeth. "Farad can't even blink in this family without everybody hating him. I know he messed up in the past, but people change."

"If you count talking about how big my butt is as nothin' then yes...that's what he did!" I raise my voice at her, feeling the anger rise in my chest and she just snickers bitterly. Already knowing that more bullshit is going to fly out of her mouth, I press the speaker button.

"Okay, G. Y'all got it. Jamari just won't have a daddy at all then since —

"Oh Gabriella, stop it right now." My dad takes the phone out of my hand and she quiets down. "Don't make it seem like we don't have Jamari's best interest at heart. Anytime Farad comes to my house, I'll be home from here on out and I don't want to hear shit else about it."

The brief silence that falls over the room is only broken by Jamari's raspy little voice. "Hey, mommy."

"Hey, baby!" Gab coos, trying to work the irritation out of her voice.

"What doing?"

"Finna eat. Tell te-te to give you a banana! I heard that there was some over there."

"Okay!" Jamari runs over to the breakfast table where my mother is sat and asks for the bananas that are in the middle.

"Bye-bye, son!"

I end the call and roll my eyes, deciding to head back to my room.

I'm disappointed in Gabriella because I thought that when she and Farad broke up that she'd have better discernment. I mean, I didn't expect her to be perfect but damn! Hearing that your son has been crying nonstop and that your baby daddy was flirting with your younger sister should've at least stirred up some type of anger for him, but instead, it was for us.

Maybe it's still Farad over everybody for her.

Lord, please free my sister from her stupidity.

"Giselle?" My dad calls just before I turn the corner. "Next time I ask you if everything is okay, please tell me. I don't want nothin' to get out of hand."