Part 8 : Harry's Really Tired

"Good afternoon, fifth years," Harry said, sitting on his desk and glancing around at the classroom. Echos and variations of good morning were said back in enthusiastic tones, and Harry smiled tiredly. Teaching seven classes a day was no joke, even if his teaching day ended around five pm! Not to mention his irritation at the tea invitation an elf brought him during the 1st years' class session! (It was the second day of school, Merlin be damned! Why are people bothering him so soon?!?!)

Harry stood up, slightly wincing when his back let out a series of cracks. He wasn't even eighteen yet! Even his back was bothering him prematurely!!!

"As a refresher of yesterday's lesson," Harry started, "here are two key points to keep in mind: there is no such thing as dark, light, or grey magic, but there is dark, light, and grey arts. Do not read the textbook the ministry requires for this course. It's biased and useless to your education.

"I also want to address how homework will be given in this class. Considering that I will see everyone every day, there is no possible way that I can assign homework every day. It would put too much stain on you and on me. However, I do reqire that you take notes whenever I'm lecturing. If the class session is a practical day without a lecture, then just write the date and the words no lecture under it. Also, always make sure to put dates on your notes because at the end of the year, I will check over everyone's notes, and they will weighted 20% of your final grade. For example, if a student is excellent in practical work, tests, and had perfect attendance but failed to write any notes, they'd get an A in this class. However, if notes were written completely, that student would get an O in the class.

"Other than that, I may ask you all to write an essay, maybe once a month, but that will be it. That is your homework for the year."

Excited murmurs broke through the class. No homework other than lecture notes! It was going to be a great year for them!

Once the volume of murmurs died down, Harry continued talking. "The lack of heavy homework in this class does not free you from your responsibilities. Make sure that you are studying the content I teach you. Make sure that you are practicing any spells I teach during practical lessons, too. Whether or not you study and understand the material taught in this class will reflect on the tests I give you, which do count toward your final grade. Yes, Mr. Goldstein?"

Everyone's heads swiveled toward a Ravenclaw sitting in the middle of the classroom. "Will you require notes for yesterday, Professor?"

"No," Harry said, smiling. "I hadn't told you all of homework plans yesterday, so it wouldn't be fair to you if I did that. Consider this week homework-free. We won't get to any specific content until I have a proper understanding of your abilities and knowledge in Defense.

"On that note, today will be focused on you. As I'm sure you've heard from the underclassmen, the specifics of your wand is an important piece of information needed to split the class into equal groups, which will last the entire year. Groups will be put together by the end of September, and one group will consist of the people you do every practical challenge with. Duals, obstacle courses, scavenger hunts, the works. The spell to reveal wand information is written on the board, and so are further instructions on what type of wand information you should write down. You have five minutes to get the spell down and complete this task."

The students stared wide-eyed at Harry for a solid second before hurriedly taking out writing utensils, eyes scanning the board behind him. Harry sat in his desk chair, arms folded behind his head, and motioned for a Slytherin in the back of the classroom to voice a question when he saw a small hand wave in the air.

"With all due respect, Professor," the Slytherin began, "I don't feel too comfortable giving my wand information to you."

Murmurs of agreement drifted through the classroom, but Harry just smiled. "I'm not asking you to, Ms. Greengrass. I won't be collecting the parchement with your wand information. You'll see after, so please complete this task."