Chapter 3

Louis just finished his second session with Lily, and feeling a little high after talking to her yesterday, he feels down today afterwards. She had asked about his earliest memory that hurt and burdens him and immediately images came up, playing in his mind's eye. Louis had a complete panic attack. Lily didn't get through to him at first but was able to talk him down after a while. She gave him tips on how to behave during the next panic attack and has also given him the task of writing down for her, in a quiet moment and with interruptions if necessary, what the earliest memory is. She has found that it helps people if they don't have to say it out loud. But even the thought of writing it down stresses him out and since he won't see her again for 5 days, he doesn't have to deal with it today. He would rather distract his thoughts today by fucking Harry into the new year.

On the way home he lets his eyes wander around and there are definitely too many happy people on the street. Groups of giggling teenagers lugging alcohol around for tonight, families with children laughing by the hand or couples of whom probably every second one is getting engaged tonight to start the new year. Louis quickly lowers his gaze and decides to go shopping as his fridge is still empty. He pulls his wallet out of his jacket pocket and has only $20 left.

Fuck - he urgently needs a new job because he swore to himself when he woke up this morning, that he wouldn't work under the boss' wanker anymore. He sent him an unfriendly message directly after the decision, resigning and wishing him to rot in hell. It was good, even if his already existing money worries were nagging at him even more.

When he enters the supermarket, his phone vibrates several times in a row in his jacket pocket and he knows exactly which nuisance is bombarding him with messages. He stops in the middle of the aisle and shakes his head at Harry's messages.

He puts his phone away again, continues down the aisle and thinks about what to buy

He puts his phone away again, continues down the aisle and thinks about what to buy. He takes a sandwich with him, some toppings and two bottles of water. Louis does the math in his head and wraps up another bottle of wine he plans to have with Harry at midnight. And no, he doesn't get cheesy or do it to please him, but rather has the ulterior motive of sleeping better with a few glasses of wine in his body. At the checkout he adds a pack of cigarettes and the rest of his money is gone. Arms full of his things, he makes his way home and when he finally arrives, Harry is already in front of the door of the house.

"Damn it," Louis murmurs quietly to himself, walking the last few feet toward Harry. He's standing there with a big grin, the dimples full on display and with sparkling eyes, his hair held back with a bandana today. In his hand he holds a basket.

"Louis! There you are! I've rang the bell a couple of times and was about to call you," he exclaims happily, and it wouldn't surprise him if Harry starts jumping up and down with joy.

"God, why are you already here? Didn't we just text like ten minutes ago?" Louis asks, frowning.

"I missed you," Harry replies, cocking his head slightly and giving him a sweet smile. Louis can hardly bear the sight, he doesn't know how to react to this radiant personality when there is so much darkness inside him. He decides not to elaborate and instead says,