40. Family Portrait

The amount of paperwork required for running a school was surprising, but it was made even worse with the changes being made. Muggle-borns were no longer permitted to attend, but some of their number were to be replaced by the half-bloods and purebloods who had previously been homeschooled or attended school overseas and were now obliged to attend Hogwarts. This meant Severus had to amend class numbers, dormitory arrangements, and various other pieces of administration. He had handled some previously as Head of House, but he decided he'd rather make the arrangements himself than delegate to the Heads - the more control he retained over the school, the better.

He was in the middle of arranging the timetable when the door opened and Draco entered. He was stood up straight, his face unreadable, but the twitching of a finger clutched around a folded parchment he held at his side gave him away.

"Draco," Severus said formally, also standing up straight as he waved his wand to roll up the parchment that contained his draft timetable. "Thank you for coming."

Draco approached the desk. A small flicker of his eyes to his right showed he was conscious of Dumbledore's portrait, but he kept his attention focused on Severus.

There was no need for Draco to worry about Dumbledore, however - the portrait was empty, as Dumbledore had moments earlier left for his twin portrait at the Hog's Head to keep company with his brother.

"You asked me to come. I came. I would hate to disappoint the Dark Lord's most trusted man."

There was a bitterness in Draco's voice, and Severus was unsurprised. Their relationship had broken down over the last year, and in killing Dumbledore, Severus had only cemented his place at the Dark Lord's side - in Draco's eyes, taking the position his father should have kept.

He can keep it, Severus thought bitterly. I want no part of this.

He had to be careful what he said now. He needed Draco to help him protect the students, but he couldn't risk revealing his true allegiance. Draco's occlumency was good, but Severus couldn't risk the Dark Lord's legilimency being better.

"I have two things to ask of you. One is a request from me; the other, an order from the Dark Lord. You do not have to agree to my request, but I strongly advise you do."

"The order first."

"No. Take a seat."

Draco looked like he was going to protest, but he seemed to think better of it, and instead sat in the seat across the desk, the same seat Severus had sat in a hundred times before during discussions with Dumbledore.

"You know the Carrows, I trust?"

"Alecto and Amycus? Those weirdos?"

"The Dark Lord has ordered their appointments at the school. Alecto is to teach Muggle Studies since Professor Burbage is... no longer with us. Defence Against the Dark Arts will no longer be on the curriculum. Instead, Amycus will be teaching Dark Arts."

Draco didn't move. He just waited for Severus to get to his request.

"If you know the Carrows, you will know they are ruthless, and rather idiotic. I fully expect their attempts at discipline to be both violent and sloppy. It would not surprise me if they were to do something foolish enough to get a student killed - and killing perfectly capable, full blooded wizarding folk is quite counterintuitive to the Dark Lord's plan. I will allow them to teach as that is the Dark Lord's wish, but he made no mention of allowing them to run riot around the school. I will take every action I can to curb their actions, but I cannot be everywhere. I need eyes among the students."

"Me?"

"Yes. As a Death Eater already, you will hold sway among those loyal to the Dark Lord. You are perfectly positioned to keep an eye on them. I need you to report to me regularly with anything you learn."