Chapter 4: Cast Adrift

ابدأ من البداية

Peach turned around with a smile on her face. The plumber twins walked towards her; the eldest more confident than the youngest. Luigi was still getting used to being so casual in the presence of royalty. Mario put a hand on his hip. "Everything looks amazing!" he exclaimed.

Luigi adjusted his cap. "Amazing is an understatement, bro. You all went above and beyond for us,"

The Toads within earshot grinned and thanked him, bashful blushes on their faces. So adorable, he thought. Peach put a hand on her face and flicked her hand, "It was only fitting."

"I'm willing to bet every coin I've got this party is the biggest one yet!"

The trio turned to look at the unknown voice. Toad leaned on a staff, a bright smile on his little face. Peach walked to his side and patted his head. "I see the defrosting chamber works well," she jested.

"It's nice to see you back in action, Toad," Mario said. "And you've already met my twin brother, Luigi."

His brother gave him an unamused glare. The others laughed at his reddening expression. With how unbothered Toad is, it was safe to say there was resentment after the freezing incident. Luigi was relieved. He disliked the fact that his first time using those magnificent power-ups ended with friendly fire. Toad chuckled slightly, "Don't think much about it, Luigi! When we were little and Peach was training, she once used me as a shield."

Peach put a hand on his shoulder. "Oookay! I think that is enough teasing for today. Let's have fun!" she said, her face beet red.

Musicians on a small stage started playing their instruments. The small group of friends clapped and cheered, swiftly joining the other citizens in their dancing circles. Plates of food and goblets of drink were passed around without restraint; the entire kingdom frisked, relishing the defeat of a long-time foe. The brothers took turns dancing with the Mushroom Princess, grinning non-stop. For the first time in a long time, they allowed themselves to relax, to let their guard down. The festive mood spread like wildfire, the air reverberating with laughter and delighted cheers.

A few hours into the celebration, Peach pulled them both aside and climbed one of the nearby mushrooms. Mario and Toad followed her without hesitation; meanwhile, Luigi climbed the stem with heavy precaution and quivering lips. They all took a seat on the mushroom's cap, their feet dangling. Mario and Luigi sat side by side, looking up at the stars. Suddenly a light shot into the sky and exploded into a bright light show with a sonorous bang. The people oohed and aahed, mesmerized by the fireworks. Everything that has happened... The temporary absence of the Power Stars, the fear of war breaking out. It all melted away. Yes, the affected kingdoms needed rebuilding, but for now, the people wanted to enjoy themselves and lift morale.

Mario pried his eyes away from the fireworks and realized Luigi was absent. He looked around, eyes scanning for his little brother; he gently touched Peach's shoulder and queried her about his whereabouts. Sadly, neither she nor Toad saw him leave. Mario pursed his lips, then leaped off the elevated seating. He landed below without a hitch; even a few nearby citizens clapped at his form. However, Mario paid them no mind; he was more focused on his brother. He has noticed Luigi was more quiet than normal.

On the other hand, Luigi ambulated around, analyzing the quaint village; the fireworks still resonated behind. Honestly, the only word that could describe Toad Town was "cute." The layout looked chaotic on a surface level, but further examination showed the practicality behind it all. The nearby mushroom forest provides ample cover and pleasing surroundings; this kingdom could not get any more fantastical than this. Luigi took a deep breath and sighed. He just needed a moment on solid ground; he was not a fan of heights. The fireworks were amazing, but the seating? A little too much for his taste. Plus, he had so much on his mind... He was afraid he would pass out and fall.