Chapter 4: Cast Adrift

ابدأ من البداية

The human managed a sleepy smile. "Thank you so much. W-we'll be down there in a minute."

The female Toad handed him a bundle of clothing with a curtsy. Luigi quickly took the clothing, uttering a thank you before slipping back into his room. He yawned and stretched, hearing a satisfying crack in his back. Luigi walked over to his brother and shook his shoulder. "Oy, fratello. It's party time," he said. Mario groaned and turned over. His younger brother was not having it. He yanked the covers off.

"Okay! Okay! Damn..."

Luigi dumped his set of clothes on his face, then headed to the bathroom. As he slowly woke up, the excitement for tonight's festivities started to sink in. It was hard to believe, really. One day he's in jail, the next he is being treated by royalty. Nevertheless, a party is a party. Luigi welcomes anything that could help shake off the frightening experience.

The human paused for a second and looked at himself in the mirror. A bit of color was returning to his skin, and the bags under his eyes were slowly fading away. He almost looked like his bright, cheerful yet shy self again. And he felt like it too. The "festivity garments" consisted of a white shirt beneath a forest green vest and blue jeans. Luigi stepped back, taking in the sight. His heart melted at the residents' kindness. Luigi would like to stay, but he truly misses his home. Their friends must be worried beyond imaginable doubt. A-and surely, Miss Pauline was wondering what happened to them after they disappeared; after all, they were helping her rebuild that energy plant. The man in green hmphed, making a mental note to warn her of the warp pipe hidden in plain sight. Then he realized how insane he would sound, imagining recounting his undesired trip to this world. Luigi could just imagine the headlines.

Local plumbers gone bonkers! Claim to have fought turtles and befriended mushroom people!

Luigi rubbed his face, then egressed the bathroom. Mario stood in front of a vanity mirror, putting on his iconic cap. The younger twin spotted his gloves on the table. "Hey, they even gave us new gloves!" he exclaimed.

Mario chuckled and put on his own pair. "Yeah! I don't know what these things are made of, but they're comfy. Plus, they make holding power-ups safe."

"So that explains how you didn't burn your hands when using that fire power-up,"

His brother nodded. The two quickly finished getting ready and left their bedroom. Mario guided him through the castle halls, whistling a cheerful tune; meanwhile, Luigi gawked at the architecture. The castle was decorated with massive portraits of exquisite detail. Honestly, Luigi felt like he would be transported to new worlds if he stepped through them. And the outside world! Hills upon hills of vibrant green, all glowing with bright lights. Fireworks went off in the distance. A chuckle interrupted his daydreaming, "Come on, Weeg!" said Mario. Luigi yelped and ran out after him.

Once outside the castle, the brother walked straight to Toad Town. They gasped at the adorned village, their eyes wide open. Decorations of green and red hung from the huts. The air fizzled with energy, accompanied by the mouth-watering scent of food. Mario and Luigi spotted a group of children playing around a fountain, goofy mustaches painted on their faces. The two chuckled at the sight. For Mario, it was rather normal; in Brooklyn, some of the kids did that too. Quite a few of them even dressed as him for Halloween. But for Luigi, it took time to get used to it. Being idolized was as foreign to him as this world. Not that he was complaining. Luigi was glad he may have inspired a few young ones.

The heroes continued entering the plaza, greeting any friendly citizens that approached them. Suddenly a flash of pink caught their attention. Princess Peach was helping a group of people set up a table. She looked dazzling in a light pink dress, a garment much more casual for a party than her iconic gown. Mario waved his hand. "Princess, over here!"