Heart Lacking

In the corner of an island where the cliffs stand, live two married couple whom believe to have no hearts. The woman was a daughter of a persecuted priest whom desired a peasant (her mother) who was also persecuted in accusation of being a witch; leaving the woman to the cares of her only aunt, the sister of her mother. Her aunt was a strict and avaricious woman who in her youth once flirted around higher rank men for gold (which whom hadn't succeeded in gaining a nabob husband) so, told her that the heart if open will only kill its master. And so it remain tightly close inside her chest even during the last hour of her aunt's last breath, she shown no sorrow nor joy for her aunt's journey to the afterlife.
It was due to her parents’ sins that she was labeled as the 'sinners’ daughter' or the 'offspring of evils'. But through her inability to feel, she shown no remorse nor shame on both parents whom she never met.

She as a wife often spoke to her husband,"I believe knowledge is enough. Afterall, what comes after it is wisdom itself. My mind's full and my heart's empty, and that is what best for us humankind. Those fools just can't see it like how our eyes had observe."

In which the husband would turn his head to his wife, nod a little, then look on blankly ahead of him. Pondering on nothingness he often couldn't answer. He was once a lover of someone dear. In his prime youth, he fell in love with the daughter of a well off family whom only wish for more richness to bring forth to their home. He and the maiden secretly met each other in secret, so secret it was that even they themselves couldn't quite comprehend if they were a couple or something else. But those secret meetings had stopped when the lady was bounded to another whom has captivated the heart of hers and her family's. It was a decision not much given a second thought, for the maiden love best the other gentleman than him. And who could stopped the beating heart of a man than his lover whom loves another gent that she meet in a day. It was tragic and thus his heart then broke. It can never be repaired, that's what he thought.

But how come this two now-couple married each other with no hearts? How come marriage be tied in these two broken doves?

They were young and rebellious of each path undertaken by many. Both saw a flicker of each eyes to one another. It was this thought that bound themselves together. It was both agreement on living without a heart on each chests that they themselves made a little home away from all the others. And thus, they have chosen the cliff side. For many years, they live in that house they made for themselves.

Still, what could've be their future ahead? No one knows. All it takes now is a little courage and strength for work and sudden human folly.

The woman will tend to their garden vegetables where she plant more yet care less for humanity. The man on clear days, will go for a fishing hunt in his little boat. As he often do, he doesn't talk much and observe more. And thus, more fishes caught his nets for his silence. Ripples of pound of fishes, good for meals and sells perhaps.
But on some days, he would also go on a forest hunt or cut woods for the missus. While she, can take care of some livestock they had keep for hope of peace away from town. More livestock, more independency from the bustling market place where all the other wives usually gone to to bought some things they lack.

The woman had learned to avoid the marketplace very much, it was in that place where her name was spoken in those fowl mouths of those other wives, ladies, and merchants.

She again once confessed to her husband,"Oh, I do not feel shame from their lowly tease and mockery but it was the way they spoke my name from their foolish mouth that I think as though its real essence has been step over by dirty minds. You know they do not deserve to utter my name. Their way of speaking come along with their hearts of fools."

The husband then answered with a pat of his rough hand on his wife's shoulder which the woman felt comforted though she doesn't admit it. She keep it hidden in fear of everything she believed, but her feelings for her husband grew fonder than she realizes.