Chapter 37. El Santo Grial.

Comincia dall'inizio

—Adrian? What are you doing here?

—Good afternoon, Madame —the crocodilian being said—, when I felt the earthquake I worried about you, so I came to check. I got pretty good hearing, so I confirmed you were healthy pretty quickly. I was about to return to the pier, but I happened to hear some of your conversation. I beg you would pardon my indiscretion. Do you need to get to the northern territories, right? I can take you there in less than three days.

—How? There are no rivers going that far —I interjected.

—That is true, our doctor —Adrian said—, but you are not considering that we are not in our old home right now. From where we stand, the ocean isn't that far, we can travel north through it, and then reach our objective from the back.

I pictured the map in my mind, I had looked at it so much the previous days that I had it memorized. There was a big lake near the radio tower, with rivers connecting it to the ocean to the northwest. It was a feasible plan, but there was a problem.

—That ocean is known for being extremely cold, with harsh waves and harsher currents. There are even legends about terrible monsters living there. Do you really think you can do it?

—Adrian, I do not want you to risk your life for a whim of mine —Rosanne said.

—Madame, I wouldn't have suggested it if I thought I would be risking YOUR life. This is not the first time I have swam in that ocean.

—Then, we will take on your offer, we'll depart just as we finish our preparations.

—Understood, I'll be ready! —Adrian said smiling, as he returned to the pier.

We got to do our work. I must have written at least seven long letters, instructing the maids to deliver them to the capital, as well as instructing the mansion's nurse how to treat the young prince's ailment in my absence. Thankfully, she was one of the people who got training at the academy's hospital, so she already knew the basics. I was not sure if I was to be surprised by the Queen's foresight, or just take it as something to be expected from her. In the meantime, Rosanne went to talk with her family. Her attendants of course tried to make her change her mind, but it was all in vain.

—I will be going to look for the person who can cure the curse, so that she can curse Julius' brother. It will take me some time, maybe more than a week, but I will come as soon as I can.

—I... I understand —her daughter said, hugging her.

I was always surprised how mature and understanding that girl could be, while also being able to act as a spoiled baby just as often. She then threw a glare at me.

—You too have to come back home, you got it? —she said, more as an order than anything. I nodded in response, and she seemed satisfied with that.

—Madame, please reconsider it —Nora said—, at least take me and Alyssa with you, that site is very dangerous.

Rosanne shook her head.

—I need both of you to stay here and protect Violett and the princes. I can protect myself, and Adrian will be coming with us as well. We just need to see if the saintess is in the last site, we won't be doing anything too risky.

—But...

—Madame, Doctor! —one of the maids of the mansion came to us—, you have visitors.

—Visitors? Right now?

—Yes, they are priests from the church —she said, and Rosanne instinctively covered her already bandaged horns —. They are waiting for you at the pier.

Confused, we went to meet up with them. Nora and Alyssa walked protectively in front of Rosanne, while she was carrying her daughter. To my surprise, the person waiting for us was none other than Lucius, alongside a priestess who I hadn't met yet. She was covering her face under a mask that resembled the face of a fox, but from her having her arms crossed and the rest of her body language, it was pretty clear she didn't want to be there. A sheathed sword was hanging at her waist, one that was rather peculiar, narrow and curved.

—Lucius, what are you doing here? —I asked.

—Oh, well, you seemed to be worried about that one radio tower you decided to skip, your face after reading the preliminary reports was quite the sight as well. I predicted that after talking with Madame Dragonroot you would want to check if the saintess was there, and considering that you both seem to be ready to go, it looks like I was right.

—...Right, and you decided to come all the way here to stop us?

—Oh, no, I would never. I am your ally, dear doctor. I came to help! See, only members of the church can detect the traces of holy magic, reliably identifying the saintess. I, sadly, lack such powers, but my partner here agreed to help us, and even protect us in our travel!

—Who agreed to that? You forced me into it! —the other priest said, then she turned towards Rosanne, pointing with her finger at her— Listen you, demon! I will protect you, but only for the sake of finding the saintess. If you do anything weird, I will cut you in two.

—Don't take her seriously, Madame —Lucius said—, Ingrid is just very devoted and recently started to mentally link with the others, so her mind is full of everyone's opinions.

I felt the air becoming colder, as I saw Rosanne walk towards the second priest.

—Ingrid, was it? You don't have anything to worry—Rosanne said in an emotionless tone, her face was frozen, as it did whenever she got nervous—, I only want to find the saintess for her own safety and to save everyone who has been afflicted by the curse. If I do anything that even comes to resemble evil, you have my permission to strike me down right then and there.

The young woman who was so energetic just a few seconds before, was now barely avoiding trembling, and has even taken a step back.

—S-sure, as long as it stays clear... —she managed to say.

—Excellent! —Rosanne added, drawing a big smile on her face—, then we'll depart immediately.

We set off after saying our goodbyes, hoping that we would be back in a week, either after finding the saintess of having heard that one of the other teams found her.

—I'll be back soon, I love you —Rosanne said to her daughter as she gave her one last hug.

—I love you too, take care of him —I thought I heard the little girl say.