Chapter 72 - Notebooks & love confessions.

Start from the beginning

Peter sipped at his own tea, wincing at the heat.

The two made their way into the compound as they talked and walked the hallways until they found the conference room, they were expected at ten for a morning debrief. The whole team was supposed to attend.

Peter took a seat next to Wanda, as far away from the front of the room as they could manage. Natasha took a seat much closer, next to the brunette SHIELD agent. 

"Alright, let's begin." Fury stood at the head of the table, with the blonde super soldier at his side. 

"Yesterday's mission was a huge failure, you failed to intercept a package intended for the Red Room, and we ended up with a casualty. Coulson is recovering in the medical wing."

"He should be fine," Bruce interjected, just to reassure everyone. Natasha noticed Maria relax next to her. 

"However, now we have a bigger problem at hand." Steve brought them back to the point, "The Red Room has been dormant for the last year, and our attempts to locate them has been unsuccessful." 

He reached into his pocket and brought out two circular discs. "These two were used on Hill and Coulson last night and have been identified as widow bites, identical to the ones Stark makes for Romanoff."

He handed them to Bruce on his left, so the team could see them.

"There were three widows who interacted with the team yesterday but who knows how many were at the event." Fury picked up a pen from the table and moved to the whiteboard on the wall.

He wrote down: 

'WIDOW 1:  APPROX 25, BLACK HAIR, 5'8.'

'WIDOW 2: APPROX 24, BLONDE, 5'7'

'WIDOW 3: APPROX 18, BLACK HAIR, 5'3'

"This one fought Steve in the south-east hallway, she was able to knock him out and then steal his shield." He pointed to the first description. 

Steve hung his head, "I don't understand why there isn't a tracker in that thing." He glared at Tony.

"Hey, don't look at me, you're the one who was beaten." Tony snarked back, silencing the blonde.

"The second was American," Sam said, "She had an American accent."

"Most widows can do about 20 different accents," Natasha argued, "They've probably all got natural Russian accents from being raised around Russian guards and teachers."

"You don't have one though," Sam argued and Natasha shot him a look.

"That's because I put one on," She said, "I haven't been around Russians in a long time."

Fury wrote it down anyway.

'WIDOW 2: BLONDE, 5'7, APPROX 24, AMERICAN?'

"Why do they only recruit from Russia?" Clint asked, question aimed at Natasha. She just shrugged, she didn't know.

"The third one was younger, definitely." Clint said, he was sat opposite Natasha and she nodded in agreement.

"I didn't get a good look at her but she must've been younger, the elder ones have all their humanity beaten out of them so I'd say eighteen at the oldest." She allowed herself to slip back into her natural accent as if to prove a point, she shot another challenging look at Sam who seemed amused.

"However she was freakishly strong, it was like fighting a young Steve." Clint added, "She carried on going even after I'd shot the arrow at her, and her punches were crazy strong."