Chapter 1

Nyx Scamander sat silently at the front door, watching her cat play with a small dust bunny that she found under the dresser.

Nyx laughed as her cat chirped at the dust bunny. Her small white body pouncing on the dust bunny between chirps.

The dust bounced away and her cat chased after it, her tail swaying back and forth as she did so.

Nyx shook her head, rolling her eyes at how distracted her cat got at such a simple thing.

She laughed as her cat disappeared around the corner into the living room, chasing the dust bunny that she kept hitting away from her.

Nyx looked back towards the front door, waiting for a knock or a hoot of an owl.

She was waiting for her Hogwarts letter to show up and she had been waiting for the last week. Her twin sister, Calypso, had told her to be patient and just continue on with their summer plans, but Nyx couldn't wait.

She wanted the letter to be here so she could dream about her adventures she would have.

She wanted her school years to be filled with excitement, just like her great grandmother's school years. Her great grandmother was Luna Lovegood and Nyx wanted to follow in her footsteps and become a strong witch.

"I'm bored," Nyx called out, seeing no letters in the mail slot.

She sighed, looking over to the entrance of the living room, hoping to see Calypso or her cat.

She crossed her arms impatiently, getting up and walking into the living room.

Nyx turned the corner, seeing her sister sitting in front of a blank canvas. Unlike Nyx, Calypso was practicing her painting skills and was now drawing the rough outline of a vase with flowers inside it. Nyx looked up, seeing the exact flower vase she was trying to replicate.

"Calypso," Nyx said again, taking a step into the living room.

"Nyx, I'm busy," Her sister responded and Nyx sighed.

"I can see that, but I'm bored!"

"Then do something," Calypso snapped, looking over her shoulder for a moment.

Her bright green eyes held annoyance as she stared at her twin for a moment before turning back to her canvas.

Nyx rolled her eyes, turning away and walking back to the front door.

She sat on the bench by the door, "do something then," she mocked bitterly.

Nyx looked over her shoulder to make sure Calypso hadn't heard her and smirked when she realized she didn't.

"I heard you, you know!" Calypso yelled after a moment causing Nyx to jump.

Her smirk disappeared and she mumbled a quick sorry before turning her attention back to the door.

She gasped, seeing a yellow envelope stuck in the mail slot.

Nyx jumped up from the bench, snatching the letter from the mail slot. Her hands ran over the rough envelope parchment, looking at the purple seal that had an owl engraved in it. She admired the intricate details of the owl seal before slowly turning the envelope over. On the front was three words:

Ms. Calypso Scamander.

Nyx's heart dropped as she read those three simple words over and over again. She urged the envelope to add her name or change Calypso's name to hers.

"Please," she whispered at the letter, flipping it over and hoping it would have her name somewhere on the envelope.

The name didn't leave and fear bubbled inside Nyx as she thought about what it meant if she didn't receive a letter. Without a letter, she wasn't a witch. She would be a squib and Nyx felt her heart drop at the thought.