“When did my name become Kyla?”

I stared flatly at the windshield.  No.  Just no.  “Dannon, don’t make me hand up on you,” I warned. 

Dannon chuckled.  “I can’t make you do anything.”

I gave a slight huff.  “So why did you call?” I persisted.

“To say hi.”

My eyebrows rose.  “You call a person just to say hi?  Or is this like when you called me for the first time?  You know, the time where you stalked me through yearbooks?”

I threw a glance at Kyla, watching as her eyes widened and then narrowed.  Oops.  Guess I forgot to let her know that Dannon searched me up in order to find my number.  Looking back, she never really questioned me past the fact that an angelic man had graced his voice to my presence.  Well, either way, I wasn’t going to get away with it.  I mean, I’d just promised that I’d always tell her everything.

“I assure you,” Dannon drawled, pulling me away from my reverie, “this is nothing like the yearbook incident.  I didn’t have to look in a yearbook this time.”

I let out a small laugh.  “Do you always have these random urges to call people?”

Dannon didn’t answer at first—well, he did but it was too low for me to hear.  I thought I heard something along the lines of, “Not all people,” but I couldn’t say that with confidence.  But, a moment later, he answered loud enough for me to hear. “Yes, yes I do,” he said lightly.

“Where are you?” I asked, deciding to change the subject.

“At school.”

Damn.  How early did he leave?  I mean, if he lived further out in town, he obviously had to drive further.  “Really?” I asked, my eyes widening a fraction. 

“Yes, really.”  Dannon laughed.  “I had to give my team a reason for why I was out.”

“And you couldn’t do that, let’s say . . . lunch time?” I mused, picking at the wrinkles in my jeans.  He’d left his house earlier just to explain to his team why he was out?  That was commitment.

Kyla began tapping on the steering wheel aimlessly.  I gave her a weird look.  Was that her way of amusing herself?  If she was going to do that, she should have at least put some rhythm to it.

“Nope, Garner demanded that I tell him this morning before classes start.”

“How did he tell you that?” I inquired, arching my back and wiping my face down with the back of my free hand.  “His number wasn’t in your contacts.”

Dannon sighed.  “A very nice person who has my number told him.”

“Your sarcasm sucks,” I told him bluntly.  “And I’m guessing you mean Oliver, then.”

I could hear the smile in Dannon’s voice as he replied.  “Did you memorize my contacts?”

“Well, it’s not like you had a lot in there.”  I paused as we pulled into the school’s parking lot.  In the midst of a small crowd, Dannon became utterly visible, his phone resting against his ear.  I wondered how he had the urge to call me while he was with his group.  Such a weird man indeed . . . “I see you.”

Dannon looked up, his head turning from side to side as he searched for me.  It kind of gave me satisfaction that he was looking for me when everyone would have fallen at his feet in mercy.  “Where are you?” he asked.  I grinned.  I could see his mouth moving as he talked.