𝐭𝐰𝐨 • 𝐚𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

When we finally find seats after taking only a few seconds to decide what to eat, we sit down at a table for four. Although the options weren't as expansive as all of those college movies make them out to be, the pizza on my plate doesn't look half bad—better than the lesser quality pizza that was handed out every day for lunch in high school. Everyone hated that pizza, but all it needed was some crushed red pepper and parmesan to level it up a bit.

"You actually enjoy eating salad?" Norah asks from the other side of the table. Her tone is so sickly positive I can't tell if she's an undercover mean girl or if she's genuinely curious—I've come across both in the eighteen years I've been alive.

Cara shrugs from beside her. "Yeah, most of the time. They don't have many meatless options here."

"Are you a vegetarian?" Opal asks, flat and straightforward, taking a bite out of a generously-sized cheeseburger.

"Yes," I instinctively answer for Cara. I don't expect myself to even say anything, but with the number of presentations and essays she's made about vegetarianism, the information is practically engraved in my brain. But she clearly doesn't appreciate my speaking up for her, as I soon realize when I look up to find her glaring at me, straight through her eyelashes.

I feel the other two pairs of eyes on me before Norah finally asks, "Are you guys friends?" Before either of us can answer, she suddenly straightens up and beams at both of us. "Oh my god, did you apply to Barington together? That's so cute, you're just like us!"

Definitely just a sweet girl. No point in telling her the truth about Cara and me and disappointing such a beautiful and pure soul.

But Cara seems to think differently. "Actually, we—"

"We didn't apply together," I interrupt before she can ruin Norah's mood completely, "but we went to the same school."

"Oh, well, that's still nice," Norah replies. "At least you don't have to room with random strangers."

I choose to avoid telling her how we may as well be strangers, thanks to the relationship we have, but Cara's scoff seems to catch all of our attention, especially when she looks like she's about to be sent into a choking fit by a cucumber slice. Our suitemates stare at her in confusion as I try my best not to snicker. The old me wouldn't even think about holding back, but I promised myself I'd try to turn over a new leaf this year.

"So, how long have you two been friends?" Cara asks, clearly trying to shift the focus from her to Norah and Opal instead.

Norah grins, as she always seems to do, and answers while Opal eats her burger. "Since, like, forever! Our dads were best friends in high school so we grew up with each other."

"Literally," Opal adds when she swallows her last bite, seemingly irritated. The small smirk on her lips, however, reveals just how close these two actually are.

Norah nods. "Yeah, like, literally. They raised us together. In the same house."

"Really?" I can't help but ask. "I'm shocked you guys are still living together now, willingly."

"Me too," Opal says, Norah clicking her tongue and rolling her eyes in response.

"Don't be fooled," Norah warns, "Opal's the one who suggested it."

Opal immediately avoids all eye contact, looking away as she takes the last bite of her burger, moving on to her fries. Norah chuckles to herself and we all take a minute to finish our food before we continue any more conversations and are forced to eat cold pizza and fries. Soon enough, everyone is done and we start making our way back to the dorm to get ready for a floor meeting at three o'clock sharp.