SIX

"Mara, do you see a dress you like?" I ask, looking through the racks of dresses

"Mara, do you see a dress you like?" I ask, looking through the racks of dresses. "They're all gorgeous, but two weeks ago I had Ms. Kuzmina put my dress up in storage," she replies, pointing over to the white door engraved with the words 'employees only'.

"You can help me find a dress then," I say, turning around and facing her. Mara opens her mouth but stops as her phone rings. Taking her phone out of her pocket, she blushes as she reads the notification.

My sweet Mara may have a crush.

"So, who is the lucky boy?" I ask, smirking. "His name is Christian, and he is amazing," she mumbles, fiddling with her fingers.

Over the last couple of months, I've noticed that whenever Mara gets extremely nervous, she fidgets with her fingers or twirls her hair.

"Oh, so what was the message about?" I ask, walking closer to her. "I had invited him to the gala, and she texted me back and said yes," she squeals, smiling.

"Did Kane say yes when you asked him to the gala?" she asks, shoving her phone into her back pocket. I look away, rubbing the back of my neck as I remember that I haven't asked him yet, and the gala is in two days.

She sighs, shaking her head. "You haven't asked him, have you?" she asks mockingly.

"I am; I just have to gain enough confidence."

"Call him right now," she says, handing me my phone. Sighing, I take the phone out of her hand and dial Kane's number.

As Kane answers the phone, he grits out "Who is this?"

I take a shaky breath. "It's Rena. I was just wondering if you would like to come to the gala that I'm hosting as my date."I ask, awaiting his response.

"Ok, that's great. I will send you the details," I say before hanging up and handing over the phone to Mara.

"See, I told you he would say yes," Mara retorts, rolling her eyes.

I knew he would say yes too, but his voice makes me nervous.

"I think I found you a perfect dress." I hear Mrs. Kuzmina's thick Russian accent. "Mrs. Kuzmina, thank you, but aren't you supposed to be resting?" I ask, spotting Mrs. Kuzmina coming from around a corner.

"Hush, those doctors can't tell me what to do," she says, placing the dress on the lounge chair.

"I thought your husband also said you needed to be resting," Mara retorts, smiling at Mrs. Kuzmina.

Mrs. Kuzmina lets out a loud sigh, turning to face me and Mara. "I've told you many times, that no man tells Anya Kuzmina what to do. Now, look at the damn dress."

Chuckling, I walk over to the dress, unzipping the garment bag and revealing the black gown. "That's gorgeous!" I hear Mara say as she peeks over my shoulder.

This dress is the one.

Sliding my hand down the dress, I stare at myself in the mirror, mesmerized by how beautiful I look.

The way the corset tightens around my chest and shows off my cleavage makes me feel so badass and pretty.

"Come on, we want to see the dress!" Mara hollers.

Scrunching the fabric in my hands, I step out of the dressing room. "Do you think it's cute?" I ask, twirling around so they can see the whole dress. "Wow, you look like a"

"A princess," I say, interrupting her. "No, a queen," Mrs. Kuzmina says, walking over to stand beside Mara. "Where were you hiding that dress? I've looked through your entire store, and I have never seen that dress before." Mara asks, turning to face Mrs. Kuzmina.

"It belonged to an old friend of mine. Her name was Raven Johnson," she says, keeping eye contact with me.

She's talking about me. I used to be Raven Johnson a long time ago.

"I'll be right back. I have to go to the bathroom," Mara says before running out of the room.

"You know you need to get some rest, right?" I ask, walking closer to Mrs. Kuzmina. She gives me a weak smile and nods. "I know, but regardless of me resting, we both know I'm going to die eventually," she mutters.

She's the first person I have met from my past besides Kane. When we met, she was only 9, and she believed I was 25. She was alone with no family, and I took her in for ten years. It broke me to leave her because it was like I was leaving my daughter, my only family.

"Don't say that, Anya." My lip quivers as I speak. "I'm an old lady. I'm bound to die eventually," she mumbles, wiping away a tear that had fallen from her cheek. Sighing, I pull her into a hug.

"No, mothers should have to outlive their daughters," I mumble before pulling away. "What's going on in here?" Mara asks, walking back into the room. "Oh, nothing," I say, looking away from Mrs. Kuzmina.

If only she knew the truth.