109 In the Sky

(A/N Another update for the few of you. :) Things will get going this chapter. Thanks for reading, and Keep Running. xoA)

Words whisper in my head while I sleep. It has been days since Kid has been appointed.

"Kobra Kid."

His name plays in my head all night. Kid chose his name. His reasoning was clear, he didn't want to change his title, the one I use for him. Kid is his name. But now, his identity isn't secret, for he only slapped the name of a snake in front of "Kid" and let it be. I told him that it wasn't a good idea, but he simply replied, earlier yesterday, "Why would I want to die behind a fake name?"

Reflecting on his words while I lay in one of the cots at a local railway stop, an old subway station, I turn over. The time should be around one in the morning. It's pitch black in here, no one would dare use a precious flashlight and waste our resources. I sit up, careful to not rustle anything that would make a sound. Sighing, I move my head towards where I know Kid is, among the dozens of cots set up around the tracks, where the defunct subway trains are nowhere to be found anymore. I don't hear him snoring. Of course, he is never loud, but after so many years you eventually begin to memorize someone. The tones of their breathing, the shape of their sleeping body. So this is how I know Kid is awake.

Somehow he senses my glance, and he turns around too. I see his eyes, a light in the night blackness. I don't know how this is even possible. Do eyes glow in the dark? Not that I know of, but I clearly see him. Kid sighs upon realizing I'm awake. He reaches over and pokes my arm, giving me a questioning look. Why are you awake? I poke him back. Kid sits up at this and pats the side of his bed, beckoning me to follow. He knows I'm awake for a reason. I gingerly stand and take a half step towards Kid's cot and freeze instinctively to be sure no one watching me move about.

Sitting on the end of the cot, Kid grabs my hand. He whispers, "What's up, twerp?". Again with the twerp. Ugh.

"Nothing much. You?" I say, giving him a smile. Kid lets out a breathy laugh and sighs.

"You know what I meant, why are awake? We're starting the trek to Ravenkroft tomorrow. Crack of dawn. You're lucky enough to get the rest. Because we aren't traveling by night this time." He's right. Traveling by night is almost always a Killjoy's best option. Pitch black. No civilians. Unfortunately though, Ravenkroft was put under heavy nocturnal surveillance about a month ago, following a clap. I remember hearing about that. Only three out of the twelve Killjoys involved made it out alive. No one shared why they were there. It was a huge mystery, a conspiracy for a little while, but people stopped questioning once it was forgotten by the officials altogether. But now we have to be careful around daytime. Executives could be touring streets for all we know. Hopefully though, once we receive an outline of the running plan, than we will know what to do, in order to avoiding be ghosted.

"I'm awake because I'm not sleeping." I reply softly. I channel my inner small child, "I'm not tired."

Kid chuckles. "Well something's keeping you up, then." He points at my head. "What's going on up there?"

"Nothing." I lie, accidentally breaking the light manner we had going on. I try to smile to bring it back, but it's no use, because Kid's face shows clear concern. Sometimes I get so angry about how much he knows me.

He taps my shoulder, trying to act playful, but in reality, he wants to know what's bothering me. "Cut the crap. You can't hide your problems in your head. I'll fix them." He raises his hands jokingly. "These mad karate skills won't go wasted."

You're one to talk about hiding problems in your head. I don't say this out loud. But we both know that the immobilizing state Kid falls into periodically is something he's never dared to tell me about, let alone anyone else. I suppose the look I accidentally shoot him gives me away, much to my dismay.