Chapter 13 - Let's Have a Party

Start from the beginning

"Including your writing subject falling madly in love with you?" she asked with a sly side glance as we walked down the sidewalk to Elvis's rented LA home.

"Let's not talk about that right now."

"It's going to come up since you have to show him what you have so far of his story. Maybe you can talk to him about his ancestry. That would be a good thing to add—his heritage."

"Yes, I agree. Maybe I'll ask for another interview while I'm there."

"No doubt that he will be more than happy to spend some alone time with you like when you two were working on the story the other day. Goodness, what woman would give to be alone with Elvis Presley?"

She bumped my arm, and I scoffed. "Psht. I'm not a pushover like other women. I'm not going to get involved with a womanizer like him who supposedly slept with a lot of women later in his life. No, thank you."

"I doubt he slept with or is going to sleep with a bunch of women. He's a gentleman."

"Even if he didn't or doesn't, I wouldn't want to go there with him."

"But you're in love with him, too. You're just playing hard-to-get."

I really didn't want to be talking about this anymore. I adjusted my red dress that hugged me and was to the knee. Mary Ann had called me a cherry bombshell. She wore an elegant black dress. "Let's just get to this party, and I can do my thing. I mainly agreed since I have to write the rest of the story."

"A work activity."

"Exactly."

The street was crowded with 60s cars. That was one of the reasons why we had to park down the road. People were walking into the gated property, and both of us were being eyed, mainly by the men, and the women with them had to yank their arm so they weren't looking at us.

"I think we're quite the duo," Mary Ann commented. "Too bad for these men since I'm in love with another actor."

"And he has no idea. Seriously, you need to find that man and tell him how you feel. You two could be married by the end of the year."

She put a hand to her cheek as it turned pink. "Oh, goodness, married... I don't know about that. But how wonderful that would be!"

Really, she just had an insane crush on that man. Knowing how kind, beautiful and personable Mary Ann was, he was probably already head over heels for her.

"Oh, wow..." I muttered as we came up to the gate and saw the house that was lighted from the inside. It was around ten o'clock at night, so the lights could be easily seen in the darkness, as well as the people inside. It was a grand two-story. Elvis was Elvis, after all, with an elaborate house, even if it was a second home.

"I know!" Mary Ann gushed. "C'mon."

She hooked my arm with hers, and we headed on into the property. Once inside this house, I instantly felt the party atmosphere. People were around chatting and dancing to a radio, creating a ruckus, and they were drinking. But it wasn't red cups they were holding, they were bottles of coke. "Strange."

"What?" asked Mary Ann as the people around took sight of us and stared.

"Nobody's drinking."

"Elvis hates to drink alcohol, so no one at his parties drinks it for his sake."

That was a good mental note. "Why do you think that is?"

"I think it has to do with his mother. The story is, his mother drank herself to death worrying about him while he was in the army. She had a problem with it years before, but it became serious after he left."