@shalonsims - Leaving my apartment

Start from the beginning

Michael had gone to get supplies for the trip, so we had planned to meet at the Old Man's Park. That in itself was a fairly long hike for my old body, and through a dangerous city, full of garbage and death, to boot.

My legs were stiff and weak already, but the thought of being outside, breathing fresh air... I needed to get out of this godforsaken stairwell toot sweet!

With each step I took, my dread increased. My books, my apartment, my life up there, so safe and secure... I gulped. There was no turning back but I was seriously doubting my decision.

I finally reached the first floor, and opened the door leading to the lobby of my condo, The Exeter. I embraced a filtered daylight and a slightly less odorous air and walked down a dirty corridor, heading for the decrepit lobby. I could already hear Money's gang chatting, and smell the familiar, sweet and pungent smoke of their ganja.

The marble tile floor was cracked beyond repair, many of the tiles removed for some other purpose.

I walked up to the lobby softly, and hid behind the corner, just peering out at the gang. There sat Money, fatter and dirtier than ever, with his shotgun propped up on his lap pointing at the roof. And sure enough, he was still surrounded by his possy of young punks, ranging in ages from pre-pubescent to late teens.

Someone spotted me and pointed. They all turned their heads, so I stepped out in front of them all. You couldn't show your fear around this group.

Money sneered at me. "Well, Mrs. Sims, I haven't seen you in a long time." He drew out the word 'long.'

I felt embarrassed, and could guess what they all thought about me, locking myself up there for four long years.... I pushed the thought away—I needed to stay sharp.

"It's Miss Sims, Money. And yes, it's been a long time since I've had the pleasure of frequenting your establishment."

"Huh? I don't know what'chur talkin' about," he said dismissively. "I see you still think you're the smartest person on the world."

I rolled my eyes. "In the world, Money."

"Whatever. I don't mind about that type of thing, Mrs. Sims, cuz my people understand me just fine." He looked around him, at the boys, young kids, really, who were enjoying the show. "Right?"

"Yeah, right Money, we understand you just fine." It was a boy who I recognized, about the same age as Michael. He used to be gentle, timid child, but now he was hard, too hard for his young age. I suddenly felt very sad for all of them—for everyone left behind in this mess.

They were all looking at me, and at Money, to see what would happen next, hoping for a spectacle. It was best not to get Money angry. Though he had always left me alone, miraculously, I never provoked him, and today was not the day to push my luck.

I nodded my head, "Well, this has been great seeing all of you again. Have a nice day," and pushed my way through the throng of boys.

"Where ya going, Mrs. Sims? How come you don't get your slave, Michael, to do it?"

I sighed. "I've got something to do today, Money, not that it's any of your business."

"My business? My business is right here, so I think it is my business, because you're standing in my business."

"It's an expression, Money. It means that it's not..." I tried to think of another way to explain. "Oh nevermind. I'm just going to meet someone."

He narrowed his eyes, and looked at me with curiosity. He raised his chin. "Meet someone, eh? Like who?"

I faltered. The last thing I needed was for Money to get interested in Tom and the Cultural Preservation Taskforce. "I'm... going to meet someone who wants me to teach em how to read," I lied, finally.