Chapter 2

"Hey Sable! Telephone!" I hear Joyce yell from the front of the store.
"Excuse me Michael." I say to him.
"Hurry back to me Sable." He says to me smiling.
I blush and make my way to the front of the store.
"Hello."
"Hey babe! How's your day so far." Jake says
Oh great..I should be happy to hear from him but he's taking me away from Michael right now.
"Oh hey Jake. It's fine. I'll tell you about it when I get home. I gotta go." I say
"I was wondering if I could meet you for lunch." he says
Damn! I already have a lunch date.
"Umm...I already have plans for lunch." I say
"You do? With who? Are they more important than your boyfriend of 8 months?" he asks me.
"Of course not Jake." I reply rolling my eyes.
"Well meet me then at Katz's deli up the street in 10 minutes, ok." he says
"Alright Jake. See you then." I reply and hang up.

I make my way back to the back of the store where Michael is. I really wanted to go to lunch with him so bad.
"Uhh..Michael..something came up and I'm sorry but I can't go to lunch with you. I hope you understand." I say
"I guess. Well then...what are you doing for dinner? I don't leave to go back to Cali until tomorrow." he says
Wow! He really wants to go out with me. Why? I don't understand.
"Ummm..yeah. I could go to dinner with you." I say
"Good. I'll pick you up at 8 o'clock. Is that ok." he says
"Yes but you don't know where I live." I say.
"I can figure it out." he says to me smiling. "I gotta go Sable. I'll see you tonight." he says.
He gives me a quick kiss on the cheek and walks quickly to the front and out the door greeted by screaming fans.
His kiss gives me a hot sweet sensation in my crotch. I'm hopeless...
Now what the hell am I going to tell Jake?

Jake and I finish lunch and were sitting there talking. I have to tell him I'm having dinner out, I hate lying to him. I didn't even tell him that Michael was at the store today looking for me. I think thats best left unsaid.
"Hey look, Joyce wants to take us employees out to dinner tonight." I say
"Oh yeah. That's nice. Can I come too?" he asks
"Ummm..no. Just employees. Boyfriends and spouses aren't in the budget." I say biting my lip nervously.
"Well dang. What am I gonna eat for dinner." he says.
"Damn Jake order a pizza or something. I gotta get back to work." I say
"Ok. I'll take you back. I'll see you later this afternoon when you get home." he says.

I return to work but all I can think about is my dinner tonight with Michael. What am I gonna wear? I think I should go shopping but then Jake might get suspicious if i buy something new just for dinner with the boss. I have to rely on what I already have in my closet.
Oh sh**! What if he picks me up in a limo! Jake can't see it! I have to make sure Jake isn't looking when I go downstairs. Aww hell..I didn't think this through very well...
__________________

After work, I rush home and thank God Jake isn't there yet. I shower and pull out my sexy low cut black dress and high heels. I hope Michael likes this. I curl my hair and put on my favorite hoop diamond earrings. Ok, I'm ready.
Its 8 o'clock on the dot and I look outside and see a limo pull up to the house. He wasn't kidding, he did find out where I live. strange.
Jake still isn't home. I run downstairs and out the door. The driver opens the door and I climb in.

"Hey Sable. You look beautiful." Michael says to me biting his bottom lip looking me up and down.
Why does he do that. Does he know how sexy he is? He's killing me!
"So do you." I say. He has on cream colored slacks and a red button down shirt with his hair pulled back with a few curls hanging down his face. Yummy.
As we pull off, I look out the window and see Jake walking up to the house looking at the limo. Good, don't think he saw me. I start to feel guilty, but just a little.

We pull up to the back of Tavern on the Green and enter through the kitchen and are escorted to a private dining room for just the two of us. Its so romantic. He pulls my chair out for me and I sit down. He orders champagne and oysters.

"Well Sable tell me about yourself." he says.
"Not much to tell. You know where I work." I say
He laughs. "There has to be more to you than that." he says
"What do you wanna know? I ask
"What are you hopes and dreams Sable? What do you want most out of life." he says.
"Wow. Those are pretty deep questions to discuss over dinner don't you think?" I respond
"When I said I wanted to get to know you..I wasn't kidding." he says giving me a serious soul piercing look. He reaches across the table and grabs my hand. His fingers start to rub my knuckles.
I can feel his look all the way down to my crotch. He's so sexy.
"Ummm...I a...would a..like to own my own ummm..book store one day." I say shyly looking down. I can't even talk straight! He got me trippin!
"Thats a great dream to have Sable. I love books." He says still rubbing my knuckles and holding my hand.
"I was wondering if you would like to hang out with me tonight at my hotel. I'm staying at the Waldorf Astoria, the royal suite."He says to me.
"I don't know about that Michael. I have to go to work tomorrow." I say
"You can ditch can't you?" he asks me looking at me with those eyes again.
"Lets get through dinner first, shall we?" I say back to him.
He looks at me kind of dissapointed. "Ok, fair enough." he replies
I order a simple salad and he orders grilled chicken and vegetables.
"Is that all you're gonna eat?" he asks me.
"Yeah. I'm not really a big eater." I reply
"You should eat more. You might need your strength later." he says winking at me.
Huh? What does that mean? Does he think I'm gonna sleep with him on the first date? He is fine as hell but, I'm not easy.
I ignore what he just said because I have a question, something thats been bugging me.
"Umm..can I ask you something?"
"Yes. Anything Sable."
"Was it a coincidence that you came to my job or did you track me down?"
He smiles at me.
"Ok. I'm not gonna lie. I had my people do a background check on you after I learned your name. I had my bodyguard write down your licence plate at the book signing." he says.
Weird! That freaks me out a little.
"I don't know whether to be flattered or scared." I say.
"Don't be scared Sable. You had fainted so I couldn't talk to you. It was the only way I could find out more about you."
"So did you come to New York just to see me?" I ask
"If I told you I did...would it freak you out?" he asks smiling sexily.
"A little bit." I reply arching my eyebrow at him.
"Then, no I didn't." he says smiling at me.
Yeah right. I think to myself. He's definitely lying.
"Can I ask you something else?" I ask
"Yes." he replies.
"Why me?"
"Well Sable. There's something about you, can't put my finger on it. It's a sweet kind of innocence that I'm attracted to."
I blush. "I never was the type to catch men's eye. Kind of plain to look at." I say
"Plain? You're not plain at all. You have a natural beauty. And your eyes are so beautiful.." he says looking into my eyes.
"Can I ask you something Sable?"
He puts his fork down and grabs my hand from across the table.
"Yes."
"Do you have a boyfriend?"
Oh sh**! Don't know what to say.