Chapter 6

The next day

The kids were still asleep and I was busy trying to clean up the rooms before the room service came. Oh well, just to make the place look a little tidier. Or maybe I'm cleaning just to make myself forget last night. Maybe this is the way I cope with the insufferable pain.

Richard went out last night and hasn't returned since. I tried to call him multiple times but he didn't pick up, and in the end, he turned his phone off. And that was at 4:05 am.

Have I been cleaning this place since then? I sat on the bed and exhaled a deep sigh. Oh, I wish I could turn back time and fix the mistakes. Maybe it really is my fault and maybe he doesn't love me.

All these thoughts were becoming louder and louder and I didn't even realize that my tears were sprawling down my cheeks. I snapped to the sound of the room door opening. I quickly wiped the tears away and got back to my feet.

Adjusting the quilt and grabbing the broomstick which was by my side. His strong scent hit my nose and I relaxed a little bit knowing that he is safe and he is there.

I glanced at him and his eyes looked red. Not from anger but from crying. I wanted to say something but I couldn't. my mouth wouldn't open and the words didn't form on my tongue.

I looked away as he stepped inside the balcony and began to redo the bed. Taking the covers off, and brushing the dirt which was not even there at this point with my hands multiple times. I lifted the mattress to tuck in the covers and something caught my eye. I didn't notice it being there before but I stared at it for a moment.

A bit hesitant to pick it up but my curiosity won me over and now the thing was in my hands. It was a black duffel bag. I sat the mattress back down and put the duffel bag on top of the bed.

I opened the bad and pure shock revealed on my face. I tried my best not to scream or reveal the fact that I was horrified. A black hoodie, gloves, and a knife covered in dried blood. I slowly took the knife into my hands and inspected it.

Realization crossed my mind and I dropped the knife onto the bed. I turned around to run but when I spun around, Richard faced me with a wooden vase in his hand. At first, I didn't feel the blood oozing out of my head but when my eyesight suddenly began to falter I knew I was passing out.

After a while, maybe hours of being unconscious I was finally awake. I fluttered my eyes open and before me stood Richard brows crossed and pulling his hair, obviously anxious or mad. I couldn't speak as a piece of cloth was tied around my mouth.

He noticed that I was awake and he slowly approached me. My hands were tied to the headboard of the bed while my legs were left loose. I saw my kids in the same state as me. But rather than the bed, they were tied to chairs.

As Richard approached me, I could feel the tears slip out of my eyes and roll down my cheeks. I didn't recognize him – I don't recognize him. The same knife he probably used to kill the other guests was in his hands.

'Why Vanessa? Why are you making me do this?' He said sitting down on one side of the bed. I was terrified, I was squirming around, trying to make myself free but it was no use.

To his question, I shook my head and tried to talk. But the only sound that came from my mouth was muffled.

'oh, I loved you Vanessa. I loved the kids aswell. And I truly hate to be doing this. I do really.' He pointed the knife at me and in fear I closed my eyes.

But when nothing happened, I opened them back again and that's when I knew that the person who was talking to me isn't my husband; he is not the one I fell in love with. This person is a maniac as he is smiling – no grinning after faking his love for his family.