7. Memories Ⅱ

~8 days prior to outbreak~

Mason and Daisy sat huddled together on the shabby, threadbare carpet of their cramped apartment living room. The sagging couch behind them had seen better days, but at least it provided a bit of back support. The dim glow from the old television set cast an eerie light on their faces, as if they were characters in a horror movie.

Normally, they would have been engrossed in the latest episode of Teen Titans or giggling at Scooby-Doo's antics. But tonight, the usual lighthearted fare had been abandoned. Mason's mother, a seasoned healthcare worker, had warned him about the looming threat of a deadly virus. In an effort to stay informed, they had tuned in to the evening news instead.

With their father working the graveyard shift on weekends, they took full advantage of his absence to indulge in uninterrupted TV time. It was a rare treat that they relished, but tonight, the gravity of the situation weighed heavily on their young minds.

The news anchor, a striking brunette with a somber expression, appeared on screen. She peered over her papers, her eyes fixed on the camera, and addressed her colleague. "Well, Robert," she said, her voice filled with urgency. "This flu season is especially brutal!"

Mason and Daisy leaned in closer, their eyes glued to the screen as the anchor's voice filled the room. The gravity of the situation was dense, as if a dark cloud had descended upon them. 

Mason's heart sank as he realized how bad things really were. He had no idea the virus had wreaked so much havoc that even the usually stoic anchors seemed stressed.

The anchor's gaze shifted towards her co-host, Robert, who looked unwell, with bloodshot eyes and a sheen of sweat on his forehead. It was as if he was struggling to keep it together, even as he delivered the news.

"There are reports of hundreds of sick kids being forced to stay home from school, and thousands of adults calling out of work," she continued, her tone grim.

Mason and Daisy exchanged a worried glance. Daisy didn't fully comprehend the severity of the situation, but she could sense the fear in her brother's eyes.

As the anchor set her papers down on the desk in front of her, Robert took over the segment, his voice urgent and serious. "There have been reports of violent outbreaks in several counties across the country over flu vaccination recommendations and mandated quarantine notices," he said, his words heavy with foreboding.

The siblings were on the metaphorical edge of their seats, their hearts racing, as Robert began to discuss a video that had been circulating online.

"You've all likely seen the video circulating of the man shot during heavy traffic by police officers in the Los Angeles area - it's speculated that this man was killed bec-"

But before he could finish his sentence, the TV suddenly shut off, plunging the room into darkness. They both flinched, their eyes darting to the source of the interruption.

Their father, Daniel, stood behind the couch, holding the TV remote in his hand. The small, metal side table on the left rattled as he placed it back down.

With a heavy sigh, Daniel stepped forward and gripped the metal string from the ceiling fan above. He tugged it, and the room was immediately flooded with light. The sudden brightness made the siblings squint, momentarily disoriented from the darkness.

The kids were so absorbed in the news that they hadn't even noticed their father's arrival. He looked exhausted as he rubbed the back of his head, clearly having had a long day at work. "You kids shouldn't be watching that stuff," he said with another sigh. "It's my job to worry about that kind of scary crap - not yours."