Chapter Fifty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Princess Octavia left last night a 4.56am. Her car has been located three miles north of the lodge," the guard told Nico.

"Did she take any servants with her?" Nico asked.

The guard shook his head and said, "No servants, but she took a female passenger with her. We are not sure who this person was."

My heart dropped into my stomach. "She has Christie," I whispered. "We need to call Jacques."

"He's gone awol. He's not answering my calls or messages," Nico sighed.

"Then send him a text message and leave him a voice mail. He needs to know she is in danger," I said.

If Jacques knew Christie was in danger, he would come for her. I knew there was no way he would sit back and let Christie get murdered by Casper's crazy Aunt.

Nico pulled out his phone and typed a message to Jacques. I prayed that Jacques picked up the message. We needed all the help we could get.

Nico tucked his phone away and glanced down at my wet clothes, "We need to get out of these wet clothes and into something more practical. I have something that I want to show you."

He beckoned me to follow him through the foyer into the ballroom where we had trained the night before. The room was dark, but I could make out the figure of a wooden mannequin at the far end of the room.

I followed Nico across the room and saw that the mannequin appeared to be wearing a set of light armour beautifully crafted from leather. I reached out and traced my fingers over one of the sleeves that had been embossed with beautiful swirling patterns.

"I wanted to give it to you after we had completed a few more training sessions, but you need it now," he said. "The armour has been designed to allow maximum range of movement and will help soften any nasty blows or scratches. I will fight alongside you as best I can, but I can't kill demons like you. Myself and my team are reliant on you to kill the demons."

My fingers dropped from the armour, and I remembered what Rayne had told me. Fear amplified my power. I was a more effective killing machine when I was alone and afraid.

"I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to have to face this alone," I said.

A crack appeared in Nico's stony expression. The mask of indifference he usually hid behind dropped as he frowned at me and shook his head.

"I'm not leaving you alone with those monsters," he said.

"You have to. Otherwise, my powers might not manifest," I replied.

Nico shook his head, "That's nonsense, your hone your powers with time and practice."

I looked at him and bit back what I had wanted to say. 'I'm not like you. I'm not a hundred per cent vampire. There is part of me that is different - a demonic part.'

Rayne's cautionary words were ringing in my head. It was best not to tell anyone about what I was. The result of an unholy breeding experiment between a vampire and a demon. I wondered what Nico would think of me if I told him the truth.

"I have to face this alone. Rayne said the demon would not reveal itself to me if I came with an entourage of guards," I lied.

Nico studied me for a few seconds, and I wondered if he could tell I was lying. Then, finally, he blew out a long breath and said, "We'll go together with no guards."

"But, Rayne said-" I began.

"To hell with Rayne. I'm not letting you face this thing alone. You were able to kill the demon we faced outside the city. I'm sure you can do it again with me there. So, we go together with no guards and get Mia and Casper back."