Chapter 7 - Clovis

Start from the beginning

"It's more complicated than that," Padme replies, "But I can't explain everything here."

"How could you ever put your trust in a man like Clovis after what he did?" Anakin demands. From how upset he seems, Ahsoka is pretty sure something more happened here than she didn't hear about, because Anakin never gets upset for no reason.

"It's for the Republic, Anakin!" Padme exclaims, "Something is very wrong with the banks."

"Why is that when Clovis is around, your excuse is always that you're doing it for the Republic?!"

"Look, I don't know what's going on here," Ahsoka cuts in, "And I don't think we should talk about it here, but I don't think trusting Clovis is a good idea."

"We can talk about it outside," Padme suggests.

***

Leaving Scipio went about as smoothly as Ahsoka was expecting. After getting the corruption files Padme needed, they were chased down by a bounty hunter and the only one who could do anything of use was Anakin, since she didn't have her lightsabers. They'd finally managed to escape him when Ahsoka threw the bounty hunter back with the Force, allowing them enough time to get to the ship. It reminded her again of how much she misses fighting sometimes... and also why she's not ready to go back to the Order either.

Now, Ahsoka's pacing back and forth outside the Chancellor's office, waiting for the meeting to finish. She doesn't understand all the politics – even after working with Padme this long – but if Anakin doesn't trust Clovis' intentions, she doesn't think she does either. She may have worked with an ex-Separatist once, but that was completely different.

Finally, the doors opens, and she immediately moves off to the side into the shadows as several Jedi Council members pass by, along with a bunch of other Senators. The one thing she really doesn't like about being at the Senate all the time is that she'll often run into them. It's just a glaring reminder of what they did to her, how they turned their backs on her when she needed them the most.

Near the exit to the room, Anakin catches Padme's arm before she can walk off. And Ahsoka is pretty sure she's about to witness another one of her "parent's" arguments. And she's right.

"Why did you accept?" Anakin demands.

"Why would I not?" Padme retorts.

"I don't want you working with Clovis."

"You don't want me working with him?" she repeats incredulously.

"A serpent can shed its skin, but it's still a serpent," Anakin retorts. That, Ahsoka definitely agrees with. Clovis betrayed the Republic for the Separatists, for his own money. There's no reason to think he's up to anything better now. She might know people can change, but she knows better than anyone how it feels to have a best friend who betrays you for themself.

"Well, you're just going to have to trust my judgment here."

"Clovis is dangerous, Padme. You almost ended up dead. And he got you arrested."

"The Chancellor has asked me to do this, Anakin."

"But I am asking you to say no, as your husband." It's weird to hear him saying that out loud.

"We've already been over this. I'm not foolish enough to allow myself to be deceived twice, Anakin. My sole intentions are to defend the Republic."

Right on cue, Ahsoka sees Clovis walk around the corner. She narrows her eyes at him, moving to step between him, and Anakin and Padme. "We have company," Ahsoka interrupts, folding her arms.