[The Star-Spangled Man]

Bucky sat in his apartment as he watched the reveal of the new Captain America. He had his hands to his knees as he stared intently at the TV.

"Did you know Steve Rogers?" the announcer asked.

"I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene," Walker replied. "I followed his career very closely as an Avenger. I like to think that I modeled my work after his."

"So, you've always wanted to be a hero?"

"I liked that what I was doing would make people feel safe. Steve Rogers was the kind of guy who could do that, he gave me hope." Bucky tilted his head with a slightly seething expression. "So, even though I never met him, he feels like a brother." Bucky pursed his lips.

"Wow."

SALLY'S APARTMENT

Sally packed a bag and glanced up as Mara walked into the room.

"Where are you going?" Mara asked.

Sally rolled a shirt. "I have to go take pictures and investigate sometthing."

"Can I come?"

"Sweetie, I don't think that's a good idea."

"But I'll be really, really careful and you mostly always let me come. Please, Mommy?"

Sally let out a sigh. "You need to stay close to me, okay?"

Mara grinned. "Okay. Thank you, Mommy! Can I bring Daddy's stuffed puppy?"

She nodded. "Of course you can. But try not to lose it, all right?"

"I won't. I miss Daddy."

"I miss him too, baby."

---

Sam and Gianna looked at a poster of the new Captain America which read 'CAP IS BACK - JOHN WALKER'.

"Seems like a good guy," Torres commented. "You met him?"

"No," Sam said. "Thanks for doing this on such short notice."

As the three walked away, Torres replied, "Yeah. No sweat. I'm just, uh, finishing up the checklist. You'll be all good to go once you land in Munich." They walked down the metal stairs.

Bucky stalked up to Sam and Gianna and said, "Shouldn't have given up the shield."

"Good to see you too, Buck."

"This is wrong."

"Hey, hey, look, I'm working, all right? Reya is too. So all this outrage is gonna have to wait." The three walked toward a plane.

"You didn't know that was gonna happen?"

"No, of course I didn't know that was gonna happen. You two think it didn't break my heart to see them march him out there and call him the new Captain America?"

"This isn't what Steve wanted."

"Oh, my God. So, what do you want me to do? Call America and tell 'em I changed my mind? Huh?" He chuckled. "Yeah, right. It's a great reunion, buddy, be well."

"You had no right to give up the shield, Sam," Bucky retorted as the three of them stopped.

"Hey. This is what you are not gonna do. You're not gonna come here in your overextended life and tell me or Gia about our rights. It's over, Bucky. Besides, she and I have bigger things to deal with now."