Chapter Eighteen: Movies, Baits and Confusion

Start from the beginning

        “Jen—“ The guy took a step forward. He was wearing a simple suit, and his hair was gelled backwards.

        “No,” she cut him off. Her hair blew everywhere, as she crossed her arm over her chest. The flaps to her trench coat were flapping with one another. “Stop it. Just stop it! You are so confusing. Why can’t you just be you?”

        The guy raised his brow. 

        The girl explained herself. “One moment you are an egotistical jerk…the next you are the most romantic fool in the world!”

        (Okay, I don’t remember the lines exactly or even what movie it was. Those dialogues sounded way better in the movie. )

        I blinked as I leaned closer. By this point, the actors started to look like me and Josh. Though it didn’t last long before shots started flaring in the scene.

        Carter wooted out loud, along with some other guys in various spots in the movie theater. They obviously hated that scene and were glad that it was over. 

   The next thing I know, in the movie the girl got shot, but the main guy was too busy in the action scene to notice.

        I stood up. Well that basically sums up my time with Josh. The movie basically summed everything up: I was going to get hurt if I stayed in this state.

        Enough about Josh!

        “What’s wrong?” Carter asked.    

        “Nothing. I just need to go home.”

        “Oh,” Carter looked at the screen, then back at me. He looked torn. I exhaled, plopping back on my seat.

        “After this movie is done.”       

        Carter gave me a smile, and turned back to watching the movie.

            I tried not to be bothered by it too much, as I propped my head on my hand and looked at the ground.

        It was obvious that this movie was going to be very long.

-

-

-

“You can you use my phone,” Carter offered, pulling his phone out. I muttered thanks, and began dialing. “Listen, Alana…I want to talk to you about…”

        My heart thumped in my chest. Oh gosh, was he going to ask me?

        Sympathy immediately took hold of me.  Carter rubbed his head. “I wanted to know if you want to go out with me? He said the last bit quickly.

        Is this how Josh felt when I nearly confessed my feelings? Anxious? Unsure of how to answer.

        “Um…I’m not interested in going out with anyone.” Lame answer. I know. I mentally kick myself every time I think about it. “Besides you are a really good friend. It’d be awkward.”

        Carter scoffed. “You like that guy, huh?”

        I blinked.

        “You know the guy who was with you at the café?”

        I didn’t know how to answer. If I said yes, all my emotions I was trying to bury would explode, and if I said no…”Yeah…I’m not interested in him. It’s just a lot of things have been happening. I’m in a new area…being hosted. Long distance never works out, you know.”