Chapter 6: Conspiracy

Venizelos was walking down the halls of the Presidential Palace, about to enter a secret chamber. The very same that Lucy had walked through mere hours ago. He was nervous, and wasn't even sure if this plan would work, but he had to try. To stop these traitors, and to reunite Emmet with Lucy. Taking one last deep breath, Venizelos entered the chamber, which appeared to be empty.

After walking down a few yards, he then came upon what seemed to be a private room for a Leader. Venizelos entered, and saw a portrait of Ioannis Rallis, just the man he was looking for. However, before he could contact his men, and Emmet, telling them to stand ready, he heard a chuckle from behind.

"You certainly wouldn't get away easy, Defense-Minister." Said General Rallis, walking into the room.

Venizelos tried to stay calm, giving a blank slate of a look.

"General, what a surprise. You should have told us you returned, we would've prepared a hero's welcome."

"That is precisely why I didn't. This was at first meant to be a working vacation."

Both men seemed tense, but tried to act calm and collected in this situation. "I have achieved much, under Fascism, Owen... The fall of the Social Leftist elements of the Kingdom. The defeat of the Ottoman Menace."

"You are the man with brute tactics... Listen, Rallis. I understand what you've been doing, and, to even my surprise, I think you'd like me to assist you in this operation."

Rallis looked both confused, and somehow sure he knew he would say that. "Indeed. So, do you agree to join us?"

"...Your spies will never get a weapon close enough to King Pavlos to kill him."

"Well, our new Leader's personality at least has a positive for us to act on... He is far too trusting of most people."

Venizelos looked down, seemingly to be thinking. "... I need to know one thing, Ioannis... ... ... I need to know you're prepared for all possible scenarios."

#

Back at the residence of soon-to-be King Pavlos, he was speaking to one of his advisors, whom was secretly a member of Rallis' conspiracy. Pavlos then spoke.

"Most days I study the culture and heritage of a people... And each time I learn something incredible or amazing."

The Advisor then quietly called in some of his men, ready to take down the King. However, before he could the King spoke again.

"... I know General Rallis sent you to do away with me."

The Advisor looked shocked. Pavlos then turned around.

"And I do not believe you want to go through with this, of taking a life... You were just confused, when all this happened, Colonel. I know it's not your fault, but I implore you to stop."

"I, I have no choice your Majesty. The old regime must fall, and give way to the New Order."

"Having Rallis take over the Nation may reconcile you with your mistakes in the past, but it will also prompt him and his men to do unspeakable things to our own Allies. You must make the decision here."

The Advisor was starting to shake, not wanting to do this, but he had to, at least he told himself so.

"I know that my mistakes are my own fault."

"Your only mistake is not talking to others. You must understand that no man is immortal. We would have helped you if you needed it. However, you can still choose the path of redemption... You can spare your family your shame, and I will help you with what you need to keep them afloat."