| 6 |

Yoongi listened intently to Namjoon as he narrated the earlier events to him.

"I'm doing this for them. For Seokjin and Taehyung so that I... I want to be able to provide them with the best. I want to keep my son happy. He's the best kid a man could ask for and I just...I don't care if I spoil him. I want to be able to. I want to give him the best. Whether it's education or material needs. And Jin... He... Yoongi, I'm just... I'm an ordinary man. Just—"

Namjoon's voice gets caught in his throat and he pauses. Yoongi doesn't interrupt however and patiently waits for his friend to continue.

"He deserves so much. I had... I couldn't provide him with the things he literally deserved to have. We didn't have a honeymoon trip after our wedding since I couldn't afford it. Even our wedding...it wasn't grand. The setting was in my parents' backyard. Laid a couple of chairs, created a shade, called a f*cking priest. I just— I want to be able to give my family the best. They both deserve it. It's hard, Yoongi. Working till late, praying for that promotion and today, hearing what Seokjin had to say—"

Namjoon stops, a hiccup escaping him. Hoseok pushes the glass of water closer to the distressed man, urging him to take a small sip and Namjoon does.

Yoongi stays quiet, processing everything that Namjoon said. Then he speaks, slowly and clearly.

"Joon. I understand your intention. Honestly, I've had the same. That desire to provide your family with the best, to give them the world if possible, to keep them happy. I've been there. But being a good father or a good husband isn't about being able to provide your husband and son with fancy or luxurious materials."

Hoseok mumbles that he'll be upstairs if needed, and leaves the two friends alone, knowing it's better for Namjoon to be with Yoongi right now.

"I get where you're coming from, Joon. From not having a father to parent you or be a good husband to your mother, I can understand where your fears stem from."

Namjoon nods, more tears leaking from his eyes.

"I've been down this road too. Overworked myself and lost track of the little things that actually mattered way more. I thought I was doing the right thing. It took me Hobi yelling at me for me to realise it. It took me Jungkook seeking assurance that I still loved him and wanted him for me to see the results of my actions. Being a parent, being a dad, isn't just about being able to provide. It's about being present for the little things because your presence holds much greater importance than the worldly things. I failed to see it before."

Namjoon feels shame and guilt replace his hurt as Yoongi's words seem to clear a huge black cloud that prevented him from thinking straight earlier.

"Whether it's your son wanting to have a tea party and dressing you up in some stupid attire or making you sit on those tiny chairs along with a bunch of plushies or whether it's wearing some goofy outfit and cheering for your son on the bleachers, that makes a huge difference. That's what your son needs. It's what Seokjin needs. For you to be there where it actually matters. For you to be present."

Namjoon feels pressure build behind his eyeballs.

"That's what's required from you as a father. To show up."

A sob escapes Namjoon and the older is quick to wrap his arms around him in a hug.

"I messed up. I'm my father—"

"No, you aren't," Yoongi quickly interrupts, "I won't have you thinking like that. We're human, Joon. We make mistakes. All of us do. But what makes you a good father — what makes you different from that bastard — is you owned up. You admitted you made a mistake and I'm pretty sure you're already brainstorming on the ways to make it up to them."

Namjoon's cheeks turn a light shade of pink and Yoongi smiles.

"I—"

"Just show up. Be present for his next match. That's all the kid wants. That's the best thing you can give him. The one thing most fathers fail to give their children is their time and their presence. Don't fall in that category. Be a dad."

"Thank you, hyung," Namjoon whispers, voice heavy with emotion.

"Stay here for the night. It's way too late for you to travel home now. Let Jin know or he'll worry."

Namjoon nods and Yoongi pats his thigh.

To be continued
21 December, 2022