six

"Nigel is my one and only child." Lady Berbrooke spoke as she sat with the Bridgertons as well as Marianne in the drawing room, "Very special boy, indeed. In fact, I often say God did not bless me with another because perfection had already been achieved."

"Goodness." Marianne commented as she watched the woman shovel in yet another small cake.

This was hers and Violet's idea. Marianne already knew that they needed to contact Berbrooke's family, and dig for any secrets that could be hidden, but they did not now how. That was until Lady Bridgerton returned from her tea with the queen and had the brilliant idea of leaving Rose to concoct any secrets out of the ladies maid as Daphne, Violet and Marianne occupied Lady Berbrooke upstairs.

"Not every lady can be so blessed, I know." Lady Berbrooke bragged. She then turned to an uncomfortable Daphne, "Miss Bridgerton. . . allow me to set my eyes upon you. Mm. Certainly healthy. Even if your countenance is a bit drawn."

"It was a terribly late evening." Lady Bridgerton excused.

"All the excitement, I suppose." She turned to Daphne, "Yet you must try harder, dear. My Nigel is quite discerning. He already turned away many more handsome debutantes, saying, 'Mother. . . I prize accomplishment over beauty'. Can you believe it?"

Violet and Marianne exchanged a look at the woman's words.

Later, Lady Berbrooke was finally preparing to leave, "You ate but not one bite at tea, my dear! A young lady must be well fed if she is to bear children." She spoke to Daphne before leaning in, "Kippers on rye every morning
worked wonders for me when I conceived my Nigel." She told her.

Once the Lady Berbrooke had finally left Violet and Marianne turned to the maids excitedly.

"What have you found?" Lady Bridgerton asked.

Daphne looked at the four in confusion, "What is going on?"

"You could not think I'd ask that woman for tea without a thought for you, could you? The help hears everything, as we all know." Violet explained.

"She has heard a good deal, in fact." Rose spoke excitedly, "Lord Berbrooke has a boy by one of his maids that he refused to provide for. Sent the maid and child away to live off scraps."

"Horrible man."

"Horrible enough for us to be rid of him, let us pray." Violet spoke, hope in her voice.

Daphne shook her head, "Well, he. . . he will only deny it. And who will believe a group of women over a man's word?"

"Perhaps no one." Marianne spoke before a small smile made its way into her face, "But they will if Lady Whistledown does. So we shall do what women do." She suddenly smiled, a face full of determination, "We shall talk."

It has come to this author's attention that the ton is abuzz with a most sordid tale. It is said
one cannot judge a book by its cover. But in the case of the bumbling Baron Berbrooke, it seems his displeasing appearance is quite an apt metaphor for the state of affairs in his household. I would not be surprised if Lord Berbrooke were called away to the country on alleged business. . . business which, perhaps, might involve sending some much overdue funds to one former maid and young boy, who we can only hope takes after his mother.