four

Marianne laughed along at something Eloise had said as she sat with the Bridgertons around their dining table. She had been invited to dinner on behalf of Lady Bridgerton, who said it would be good for them to eat together like they had used to when they were children.

Marianne was also surprised at the presence of the Duke, sat to Violet's left with Daphne on his other side. It was quite obvious what Lady Bridgerton and Lady Danbury were trying to do, and Marianne had to say that she didn't completely oppose the idea of her friend being matched with a Duke.

The marchioness was seated at the other end of the table on Anthony's left and beside Eloise.

Soon enough all dinner table conversation had drifted to the latest topic of the ton: Lady Whistledown.

"For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury, of all places." Anthony pointed out over the multiple debates happening at once around the table.

Benedict furrowed his brows, "What should be
so terrible about Bloomsbury? That people there actually work for a living?" The second born Bridgerton inquired making Marianne smile in amusement.

"She does seem to be someone with access." Daphne pointed out.

"Who knows if Whistledown is even a she?" Colin asked making Anthony nod.

"Good point."

Eloise made it a point to speak up then, "Because she is simply too good to be anyone but a man?"

Marianne nodded, "Yes, I believe only a woman could be cunning enough to trick the entire ton." Her words made the Bridgerton boys shoot her looks of offence as she laughed silently to herself.

"Well, I think it rather obvious that the writer is Lady Danbury." Francesca said, but everyone immediately seemed to disagree.

"Lady Danbury enjoys sharing her insults with society directly." Daphne told her younger sister, "She would never bother herself
writing them all down."

"Could it be Lady Featherington?" Hyacinth asked innocently instantly making a collective 'No!' around the table, eliciting an instant flood of laughter.

"You have yet to read what Whistledown writes of the Featheringtons, little sister." Eloise informed her.

As everyone continued with their meal Marianne noticed Violet conversing with the duke at one end of the table. The marchioness also noticed, however, the cutting eyes of the man seated to her right staring at his mother and his friend.

"You know, staring at him any harder will not make him disappear." Marianne spoke up diverting Anthony's attention to her.

He huffed as he adjusted himself in his seat, "I don't think my mother realises the utter transparency of this plan her and Lady Danbury have concocted together."

Marianne's furrowed her brow slightly, "Well, I don't think it's too bad of a match." She admitted as Anthony looked at her, "I can't imagine your sister doing worse than a duke." She cast her eyes over to Hastings, "And a handsome one at that."

Anthony's eyes instantly flickered to her as she smiled, her eyes scanning the duke's face, "And that's all that matters, isn't it? Looks and status."