Is it really?

It had been two days since Ebenezer kissed me on the cheek, regrettably, it'd been 3 days since he'd lost his mother.

I hadn't seen him since Tuesday, Mr Fezziwig was not an unkind man and let him have as long as he needed. I assumed he'd be back by Monday so I was shocked to hear the distinct tapping on the door that could have only belonged to him.

I could not describe how I felt seeing him, knowing he was okay.

'I thought you'd be back on Monday,' I said, puzzled.

'Ah well, if that's the case, I won't say no to another day off, I should probably head back home.' He grinned back.

It was strange seeing him so... normal, so soon after a traumatic event, his mother's passing, no less.

'Yes, perhaps you should.' I said, closing the door halfway jokingly.

He grabbed the edge of the door and pushed it forward, miscalculating his footing in the process and stumbling straight into the corridor, catching himself before falling face first onto the wooden floor.

'Ahem,' He cleared his throat and brushed himself off, rushing to point his index finger in a matter-of-fact manner, 'Between us, that never happened.'

'My lips are sealed.' I smiled and closed the door. Properly this time. 'Tea?'

'I never find myself being able to say no to you.'

The sentence made my heart flutter. Of course I was sure it meant nothing more than that, how could it?

I made the both of us some tea and added milk and sugar to his. He wasn't a black tea or coffee person, preferred them sweet.

We sat in silence, the birdsong imminent in the atmosphere. I saw him looking at me through my peripheral vision, and when I turned to meet his gaze he looked away and smiled softly to himself.

'So-'

'I was-'

Both of us began at the same moment and sat there staring at each other.

'You first.'

'No, you.'

'I insist.'

'Well I insist... further.'

'Ladies first.'

I smiled, 'I was just wondering the arrangements to be made for our trip, how we propose to meet, our journey, so on and so forth.'

'Ah, well I was thinking you would take rest at my place the night of the 21st so first thing on the 22nd we could depart. My sister has arranged a carriage for us.'

I nodded, 'I see, and what were you wishing to discuss?'

He shifted somewhat uncomfortably in his seat, 'Well... I was wondering if- you indeed did want to join me?' As soon as he uttered the words he hastened to add, 'Not that I do not want you with me, of course! It- it's just that since the loss of my mother, it'll be the first time my sister and I see each other and I assume we wont have as much fun as we wished to have. I do not wish to put you through unnecessary worry for us or deprive you of celebration.'

My heart clenched at this, 'Nonsense, Ebenezer! I'd rather spend this Christmas with you than stay here to partake in the festive activities. I know how hard of a time this will be for you and if you don't mind, I'd quite like to be there for you.'

His stance softened and he smiled softly, 'Then I wouldn't wish to have anyone else by my side.'

~~~

'Then what happened?' Isabel practically gawked.

'I don't know... I mean- when I reached for his cup our hands met and we made eye contact for a few seconds and I turned away. That's really all.' I hadn't spoken to her about what had happened with Ebenezer on Tuesday but she saw us exchanging smiles and other various friendly gestures and there was no escaping so I told her the events of the day.

'So does this mean you finally accept the fact he is, infact, interested in you?' She pried.

I held my breath for a moment, 'I don't think he is Isabel, truly. I think he's just looking for some support and assurance from me, which I am happy to provide him with.' This was the truth, he had just lost his mother and he was far away from the only family he had and I don't suppose his other friends knew about his mother.

'Y/N, I don't think you'd know if he was interested in you even if he screamed it in front of the whole town.' She giggled.

I rolled my eyes, 'If you say so. But I do hope he's alright, he seemed unphased today when I first saw him.'

'And that's bad because?'

'Well I'm not sure. Perhaps he's trying to act like it never happened. That's certainly what I would do.'

Isabel shrugged. We ended up moving on from the subject for a while. Friday nights were the nights I would go to her room and we would talk away the night by candlelight.

Something must have come over me, for as the laughter and chatter died down I asked her a very uncommon question.

'Isabel... Do you ever get a feeling around someone who means a lot to you that makes you want to be perfect around them? You jump whenever you see them because you're not prepared but you would still do anything to talk to them because you want to spend as much time with them as possible? That you feel you need to make sure you're at your best when they're around but you don't mind them seeing you at your worst.'

Her eyes narrowed and a grin grew from ear to ear on her face, 'Just who would this person be for you?'

I'd realised what I'd done but it was too late, 'Does it matter?'

'Don't be daft! Of course it does.' She exclaimed.

'Well Isabel if you can't figure it out yourself, perhaps I'm not the daft one.' I smirked.

'I believe that what you feel, it's called love.'

Even though I had come to terms with it, it was surreal hearing it confirmed by someone else. My heart dropped for I couldn't be in love with Ebenezer Scrooge, not now. Everything was too complicated.

∞∞∞

Author notes :))

SORRY IF THE QUALITY OF THIS WAS A BIT CRAPPY. I WORKED OVER AND UNDERTIME FOR THIS.

also next chapter might be a bit delayed cause of my flight :((

hope the story is good 😭😭

i have a horseback trek tmrw- or today, rather, first thing 😍

thanks for the support !!

- author <33