Breaking Traditions

It had been a few weeks since Ebenezer started working with Mr Fezziwig, giving us both the chance to catch up with each other whenever we had a spare moment.

7 years and it had been like nothing had changed between us.

And I was right, it hadn't.

We both were still foolish and we remembered all the lines of petty banter we shared, still bantering the same.

One day in November, we were in the sitting room laughing and discussing the matters of his sister, Jen. He brought up that she had a fiancé and well, I was shocked. Jen was two years younger than me and to hear of her finding romance made me feel behind in my life.

Ebenezer kept talking but for some reason my mind was far away from the conversation, ever since the age of 12, I'd imagined myself in love by now. I suppose I thought love was just something that was meant to happen as I saw it everywhere, I thought it was just seeing someone and your life would be changed forever.

Obviously, that's not what happens.

'Y/N?' I was pulled away from my thoughts to see Ebenezer looking down at me with his hand on my arm. 'Are you alright?'

I found myself yet in another trance, I forgot how big of a part Ebenezer played in my life but this wasn't that. In that moment, he was the only person in the world that mattered to me. His eyes were the most encaptivating in the world, I had missed him. He was my best friend.

'Yes, I'm fine.' I looked at him in a bittersweet manner and turned away.

'And you're absolutely positive? I hope you aren't under the impression that I'm daft.'

I sighed. He could see right through me and I just couldn't lie to him.

'It's just that I cannot believe that I am still here, after four years. I had a whole plan to be married to a man I truly loved by now and someone who would love me but I haven't even met someone like the person I dream of.'

'Oh,' he said softly and took my hands in his, 'Well look at where I am, no further in life than you are. I assure you, Y/N Evaine, there will be a man you love and who loves you back with all his heart. Someone who, whenever he sees you, his heart stops at your beauty and charm.' He paused, 'I have no doubt of that happening because it is you that I am speaking of.'

I took a few moments to acknowledge exactly all the things he had said and I felt tears pricking at the corners of my eye.

'Thank you.' I smiled at him. He had singlehandedly told me everything I needed to hear in my life in less than a minute which he did so with such poise and elegance in his manner.

We stood in silence, hand in hand for a while. Words could not describe how much I wanted that moment to last forever, as if we were the only two people in the world.

As you can imagine, it didn't. The silence was broken by a sweet voice calling my name, the voice belonged to Isabel Fezziwig, who came racing down the stairs. Just before she entered the room, we drew our hands back and took a few steps away from each other

Isabel and I were good friends, confidantes, practically inseperable. I daresay we got along almost immediately after our first meeting, she was only a year younger than myself but her beauty was beyond measure. She had freckles under her rich deep blue eyes and golden blonde hair in coiled curls. Any man who saw her seemed like they would crumble to their knees.

'Ma'am.' Ebenezer took a bow, he was never one to skip formalities.

'Oh please, Ebenezer, you need not.' She insisted and turned to me.

Upon seeing me she raised an eyebrow, 'What on Earth's got you all flustered?'

I have to say that sentence shocked me. I hadn't quite realised the feeling of my cheeks gushing with warmth after that exchange with Ebenezer and to say that Isabel's comment made it worse was an understatement.

'What on earth do you mean, Isabel?' I widened my eyes in attempt to make her stop her pestering, 'It's just this time of year, inexplicable sniffling and whatnot.' I referred to the change in the weather.

'I see,' She didn't seem convinced and smirked at me but left it.
'So, do you have any plans for Christmas?' She asked, even though she knew the answer.

'Not that I can recall of.' I replied, smiling.

'Good! So you will partake in the festivities here! And you, Ebenezer?' She smiled sweetly to which he stuttered and smiled regrettably.

'Uh- um- I do apologise ma'am, but my sister, Jen, has invited me to a Christmas lunch with her new fiancé and offered me to stay a night or two in Kent.' He paused as Isabel nodded, 'I was hoping to ask you to join me, Y/N, Jen dearly wishes to see you.'

My heart was in my throat, mine and Isabel's Christmases were practically tradition at that point, if you could even call 4 years tradition. But here I was, faced with a person I shared countless traditions, moments and basically my whole previous life with. I'd have to decline.

'Isabel, would it be alright if I went with Ebenezer this Christmas?' I squeaked out. In all honesty, I felt terrible. Isabel had opened her home to me when I needed it but I hadn't seen Jen in so long, I was thrilled to hear that she was alive and well given her condition.

She looked down and back up at me, 'I've been waiting for you to find some fun outside of my reach. Please, go with him.'

I smiled at her, 'Thank you, Isabel.' Then I turned back to face Ebenezer, 'We shall plan according to the events closer to the day,' I glanced at the clock, 'But for now, I have to attend to my work, and you should see to it that Mr Fezziwig isn't deprived of your help.' I patted Ebenezer's chest without a second thought and left the room.

~~~

While I was preparing tea for the family, I noticed Isabel's curls bobbing from the corner of my eye, I turned my head to face her and saw her practically spying on me. 'What is it, Isabel?' I chuckled.

'Oh nothing...' She smirked and came closer, 'I was just wondering when you earned the ability to be shamelessly in love.'

I was gobsmacked to say the least.

'Love?! Who?!' I gasped.

'You think anyone in this household is blind? If you can't see that you're practically swooning over Ebenezer then you must be the only one who can't.' She teased.

'Oh come on, Isabel! I'm not swooning over him! He is- or was- my best friend and I merely wish to see his sister-' I began hastily.

'This isn't about that! When I walked into the living room you were practically turning into a tomato!' She exclaimed.

'I already told you it was just the change in weather!'

'Poppycock, Y/N! You're in love with that man. Everyone can see it!'

'Then you and I must have a very different idea of love. However, you are right, I do love him, but only in the way I love you. As a dear friend who had been there for me, and I him. But I do not love him in any other way whatsoever.'

Did I not?

∞∞∞

Author notes :))

I quite enjoyed writing that, please let me know if you enjoy the interactions and dynamics with Isabel!

I am abroad so I will try my best to publish as frequently as possible!

- Author