Recognisable

October 19th, 1808; the Christmas season was nearing steadily as more trees began to shed their leaves, exposing themselves to the nippy air of London. The summer had provided much more heat than necessary leaving everyone in anticipation of the cool autumn and early winter months.

The sounds of birds calling awoke me, my eyes refused to open but I knew I had to have the house in tip-top shape before Master and Mrs Fezziwig awoke. Slowly I turned myself over to my side and squinted at the clock. The hands read 4:42, I could have rested my eyes a tad bit longer but I knew if I did I'd most likely doze off until quarter past 5. My feet reached the ground and a chill crawled up my body, even though the floors were wooden, they were as cold as stone.
As I got myself ready, I put on one of my more sophisticated dresses for Mr Fezziwig had told me the night before that a new apprentice of his would be here by 7 AM and that I was to answer to him.

6:30 came around without my knowledge but I had finished off with most of the house and was only left with the kitchen to do. 'At this rate, I'll be able to have a cup of tea myself.' I muttered and got on with my duty. Sure enough, I finished at 10 to 7 which meant I had a moment to myself. I assumed the apprentice would be slightly tardy, it being his first day and all. Most of the new staff often are, "Apologies, we couldn't find the house," or something along those lines. I don't blame them though, this house isn't as exposed as most others are, hidden behind a green scattered with trees; I myself found myself wandering aimlessly for a few minutes on my first day, which wasn't a permanent problem as eventually, I came to live there.

The kettle came to a boil and I took it off of the fire to rest, I reached to the tea cabinet when a soft knock sounded on the door, I turned to the clock hung on the wall and the time read 7:00 exactly. I got off the stool I was standing on and brushed off my dress.

My hand reached for the door handle, I pulled it open and my eyes were met by the gentle gaze of a tall, skinny man whose top hat was clasped in his hands revealing his dark hair that was slicked back with a strand or two on his right curling over his forehead. His eyes were an icy blue yet so welcoming and charming and his expression was one of embrace.

Suddenly his expression soured and his face screwed up as he examined me and suddenly it clicked that he seemed to be recognisable to me.

A smile plastered itself across my face as I was able to put a name to his face, 'Ebenezer?' I asked in disbelief.

'Y/N?' He seemed to light up at the realisation that it was me.

I scoffed, '7 long, long years, Mr Ebenezer Scrooge.'

'7 years far too long.' He reached for an embrace and in an instant, I threw myself at him. I relaxed into him as I felt him hold onto me securely, a feeling I had deeply missed.

Soon my feelings of glee interchanged with feelings of rage.

I pushed him off, 'Where on earth did you go?!' I exclaimed, 'Christmas day of 1801 and I wake up to you gone. No goodbye or warning.'

He suddenly looked sorrowful, he hung his head low and his stance changed, 'I deeply apologise, Y/N, my father had paid off his debts and we were finally financially stable so I stopped working at the factory.'

'So as soon as everything worked out for you, I was forgotten?' I was taken aback, Ebenezer Scrooge in any time or world would never be so heartless.

'No! No!' He rushed to assure me, 'You have no idea how much I wanted to come and see you, bring you a gift or just... exchange a few words with you. But my father wouldn't hear of it. His pride was such that he would not stand to let anyone see me be sighted again at a workplace. I cannot express my regret enough.'

He looked at me with an expression of desperation and outstretched his hand, 'Forgive me, please.'

I smiled and clasped it in between both of mine, 'Of course, Ebbie. Now come in.' I insisted.

I noticed his pick up on "Ebbie", the nickname I had given him when we were children working alongside each other at the factory, he absolutely despised it and begged of me to stop calling him that.

Although, this time he seemed to enjoy being called it.

∞∞∞

Author notes :)

So how did you like it? I hope that the backstories are self-explaining and don't require too much thought.

Just wanted to clarify that Y/N is now 21 and Ebenezer is bordering 23 :)

hope u enjoyed it, I actually do write a lot quickly so I hope to update at least once every other day!