Chapter 5

They spend the next several days determining a strategy.

Returning to Edo is the only logical next step. While Naraku can't retrieve Tetsusaiga, they don't doubt his ability to track down someone who can. Tsubaki, a dark priestess, has always rivaled Kikyo. Kagome wonders if Tsubaki would turn to Naraku to land one final blow against her cousin.

But Tsubaki isn't their only concern.

Kagura's absence confirms that she has either sided with Naraku or been eliminated. Neither option works in their favor.

Naraku is familiar with Sesshomaru's fighting style. He is aware of Kagome's spiritual powers. They know he will be prepared for them to fight together. His insects may be dead but he has had time to find other pawns he can use as a diversion.

The more they discuss their plan, the more Kagome is convinced they need the power of Tetsusaiga to defeat Naraku. Forged from Touga Taisho's fang, the legendary sword was crafted with the intent to defend human life. Kagome can only hope that the blade will protect her from the portal at the bottom of the well.

When they aren't discussing battle tactics, Sesshomaru and Kagome are in the courtyard with Rin. Her sister is flourishing at the Western Palace. Rin has befriended every attendant, demon or mortal, and can often be found studying with Kaede in the kitchen. Kagome is glad to see her acclimating to their new home.

Sesshomaru seems quite content with the child as well. He spoils her far too much, permitting her to have her fill of sweets at mealtimes and purchasing a ridiculous number of finely-sewn kimonos. He even gifts Rin with a suite of rooms. Kagome starts to protest against this latest gesture when he points out that it is on the other side of the castle, situated by the kitchens so Rin is closer to Kaede. It also means that she is farther away from them.

"You indulge her too much," Kagome argues that night as she settles into bed beside him.

"Some would claim I indulge you just as much, if not more. Yet, I do not hear you complaining, Little Red," Sesshomaru retorts with a smirk.

Kagome makes a grab for her pillow. This turns out to be a mistake. Since Sesshomaru's return, he has taken to sparring with her. He knows her style and can read her intentions. His reflexes are lightning-fast. Before Kagome can even register what's happening, he has her flipped onto her back and is hovering over her. She stares up at him, partially stunned but mostly aroused.

She sees the instant he notices. Kagome hasn't masked her powers or her scent since Sesshomaru announced his decision to take her as his mate. His nostrils flare and his pupils dilate. He looks feral.

They talked about waiting, how it would be easier on both of them if they were mated after defeating Naraku.

All reasonable thought vanishes the moment Sesshomaru's lips meet hers.

The only thing Kagome can comprehend is the weight of him, the feel of his muscles rippling beneath his kimono, and the heat of his skin as he touches her. She doesn't want to wait. Her body is burning from the inside out. She writhes beneath him, seeking friction, yearning to feel him everywhere.

Kagome reaches up and runs her fingers over the set of magenta stripes on his cheeks. Sesshomaru leans into her caress, kissing each of her palms.

Their clothes end up a shredded mass of fabric on the floor.

When Kagome traces the matching pair of magenta stripes on his hips, his eyes close and he lets out a guttural moan.

Coming together is like a clash of wills. They both vie for control. There is biting, growling, grabbing, keening, and cries of pleasure. It's pure bliss. It's complete torture.